Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Going down memory lane

This day last year I left my family in Oregon and had arrived in Washington DC, nervous and excited.  I met a couple of people and I had mixed feelings about looking forward to my service as well as uncertainty about what I was getting myself into.  I ate dinner at an Italian restaurant with four other newbies and we made some awkward conversation.  Let's be honest, we were nervous and unsure of things and meeting each other for the first time.  Anyway, it's crazy to think that it's been a whole year since I left my familiar, green, carpet-filled, life in Oregon and I miss it dearly, but I can't believe how fast it's gone by and I still love being here.  In just two days it will be our official 1 year here in Nicaragua.  Can't wait to celebrate with my friends here and reminisce about all the experiences we've had here.  I'll save some of those anecdotes for that day's blog.  Tomorrow the new group of Environment and TEFL trainees arrive in Nicaragua which really makes it more real.  I'm so excited to give some charlas (talks) to the new group and share what I've experienced and learned.  It will be fun to see all their fresh and frightened faces, but also to reassure them that I've survived this long and even though things will be strange, they will be so good too.  Can't wait! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey I remember reading some of the "old timers" talking about being picked to give charlas to the newbies. I loved reading their blogs before you left..How exciting for you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that it's already been a year. I'm so glad that you still love doing what you're doing. Here's to another great year!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :) I'm looking forward to this new training cycle and meeting the new PCVs!

    ReplyDelete