Thursday, August 18, 2011

Community


My community adult & kids classes have gone well so far.  I'm really enjoying working with my students although they were a little silly this week (both the adults & kids).  I'm glad that I started these classes because I was getting really stressed out at the instituto.  Although I'm still working at the instituto and having to plan more for these classes, it's a good balance.  I also cut a few hours at the instituto to re-work my schedule a little.  I feel very busy now and I have my Fridays free again :)  I was helping out with the embassy class, but my counterpart isn't teaching it this semester--he's taking turns with another teacher and I don't know her.  He didn't have her information but I just got it from a student so I'll probably call her to see about helping her.  I really did like working with those students. 

I didn’t work out “formally” this week, but I still have tomorrow morning which is my day off.  I thought things would be slowing down this month after all the craziness in July, but I have two workshops (one this weekend and then one the next) that I’ve been organizing, which is a TON of work!  Also, I started the two community classes.  However, I feel a lot more productive and happy about my work so that’s less stressful.  I know that once I get these workshops out of the way things will be a little more relaxed.

Today I had my kids class and these kids are punctual!  No, not punctual; they’re EARLY!  I forgot what to do when people arrive early.  Well, I guess it’s a good thing though because I hate wasting time.  They’re good kids and I think they’re having fun.  Two of the little girls that live next door always say “hola profe” to me and today when I got out of a taxi in front of the house they shouted “ya viene la profesora” (here comes the teacher/the teacher’s here) from across the street.  It was pretty cute.  Their mom said they were so excited for class and asked her to “make them pretty” haha  

Well, I’m glad I’m getting into the swing of things and feeling more comfortable teaching English and using Spanish.  I’ve noticed that I talk faster without really thinking, so my Spanish is becoming more natural :)  Makes me feel good!  It’s almost been a year since I first stepped foot here in Nicaragua and I’ve come a long way.  How exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Love to read the blog.You are doing very good keeping up.really saves on my phone bill.I love to hear what is happening in your classes and meetings.I too, can't believe its almost a year..or that I was even able to "let" you go.Miss you always and are looking forward to our next visit in December.love ya

    ReplyDelete