Thursday, November 15, 2012

The perfect end to my PC service

Yesterday I woke up at 5:30am thinking I would leave Boaco and take care of my PC duties in the office to prepare for my bell ringing today, but that's not how the story goes.

I did really wake up at 5:30am and I got all the last minute things in my room packed up.  I went over to my sitemate's house to drop off a few things and say goodbye and then waited for our ride.  My host mom said the truck was coming at 6:30am, but I knew better after living in Nicaragua for 2 years...we didn't leave Boaco until 7:20am, but it certainly wasn't my fault.  I didn't really mind anyway because I didn't need to be in Managua until 11am, well until they changed my appointment to the afternoon so it didn't really matter.  Well, we finally got to Managua and I hugged my host mom and grandma goodbye and we parted ways.  It sure was awesome getting a free ride to Managua in a personal vehicle :)

So, I'm in Managua and have nothing to do but wait.  Frank didn't arrive until hours later and unfortunately the server was down in the PC office so no internet was available :(  It was nice to see other PCVs though.  After Frank arrived, we out for lunch and then had our final medical appointments.  Since there were so many other PCVs in the office and they were planning on ringing the bell that afternoon, we thought it would be fun to ring it with them.  So, 4pm came and we were all getting excited.  Little did I know, my life was going to change...  As we gathered around, the TEFL group went up to the bell so we could take a picture of all us finishing our service together.  Then, one started ringing the bell and others followed suit.  The tradition is, that when a PCV finishes his/her service, he/she rings the bell on the staircase in the middle of the PC office and all staff who are in the office come out to clap and cheer for the PCV, so we had quite a crowd.  I waited off to the side with Frank while others were ringing so we could go up together.  Then when the ringing stopped, we walked up together and decided to ring the bell at the same time.  I turned to walk down the staircase, but Frank turned me toward him and started telling me that he loved me and after 1  1/2 years of dating, he knew he wanted to be with me for the rest of his life.  Honestly, I didn't hear anything after "1 1/2 years" since I instantly started crying and when he got down on one knee everybody started cheering.  He asked me to marry him and I of course said yes!  Well, I didn't hear him the first time with all the cheers, but the second time I said yes and then took the ring out of his hand.  Then I remembered he was supposed to put it on my finger, so with it half on, I made him slide it all the way on haha  All our friends and PC staff were there congratulating us with hugs, handshakes, and loving words.  It was perfect.

AND, it was a good thing that everybody was there, because they took pictures and video!  I had to watch the video last night because everything went so fast in the moment.  I'm so glad Frank asked his boss to record the event, and others were taking pictures :)

Ringing the bell together
Right after he started into the proposal and I knew what was happening...
Crying of course
Engaged!
Watching the proposal video on the computer
Frank is going to help me edit the video so I can get it up online asap to share with everyone :)

This morning Frank & I didn't have any PC duties to fulfill since we finished yesterday, so we made an attempt at re-packing our things, but then went over to the mall so I could get my nails done for when I show off my ring haha  Well, 2 hours later and some sore fingers (forgot how much it can hurt, but really it's not supposed to hurt that much--she was a little rough with the nail file), I was ready with pretty nails!

My Nicaraguan engagement ring with my pretty Nica French tip manicure :)
Little hearts on the sides
The video editing is in progress...

2 comments:

  1. Adorable..........Congrats to you both...love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very sweet! Congrats to both of you!!! What a way to end your service there. :)

    ReplyDelete