Sunday, November 11, 2012

Poop in my purse

Yeah, that sounds pretty gross, right?  Well, I'm hoping tomorrow will be the last time I ever have to do that again.  When you're sick here, it usually leads to a trip to the lab with a little bag of, well, poop.  In an effort to be a little discreet, I usually put my specimen in a bag and then in my purse.  As I was riding in the taxi today, I thought to myself "I have poop in my purse right now.  Gross."  Unfortunately, the lab wasn't open today since it's Sunday--I went to the lab hoping it might possibly be open, but nope.  So, tomorrow I have to make the same trip and hope for the best.  It really sucks being sick again this close to the end, but it could be worse I guess. 

Since the lab was closed, I called the PC doctor to describe my symptoms, which I pretty much had already decided was bacteria, parasite, or something of that sort.  She told me I could start taking some medicine to get rid of the bad bacteria so I could hopefully start feeling better and then do the test tomorrow.  I picked up the medicine, which is pretty darn expensive--good thing we get reimbursed for that--and took it immediately.  I just need to stay hydrated, avoid dairy & greasy foods, and hopefully I'll be back to normal soon. 

On a better note, I received my last package as a PCV here in Nicaragua from my parents.  It actually arrived Friday, but my sitemate Kelli picked it up for me and took it to my house so I could have it when I got back last night.  Yay!  It had some newspapers that have the article about my students & the work I'm doing here, which is super cool; some magazines, and some little fun things to share.  It got here just in time and now I'm just waiting for my last letter, which my mom actually sent before the package...weird. 

Anyway, I only have a few more days here so I'm going to try to soak up all of Boaco, even though I'm not feeling so good.  I was hoping to go to Access class tomorrow to take the newspapers and say my official goodbye, but I'm not sure if I'll make it between my lab runs (no pun intended).  We'll see!

Here's the article in case you missed it on my Facebook page: Megan and her students in the newspaper!

**P.S. This is my last Sunday in Nicaragua!

No comments:

Post a Comment