Monday, November 5, 2012

Highlight amongst the craziness

First of all, I will share my highlight since I'm still riding high on all the excitement.  Tonight I tried calling Melissa as she's in the US waiting to get her medical clearance to come back to Nicaragua and I got through to her!  She was excited to hear my voice just about as much as I was to hear hers!  It was so nice, especially because we had been hanging out so much and then she left me last week haha  Anyway, I was so glad to hear from her and know that everything was going well.  She said that being home was sorta weird, but she was enjoying seeing all her friends and family.  I'm excited for when I finally go home, but I expect things to feel a little weird as well--that reverse culture shock!  So, that's my highlight--we got to talk for about an hour, with a quick power outage in between of course.  It made me just so happy :)

Ok, so now the craziness...well since the elections here took place yesterday things have been fairly calm in Boaco.  The Sandinistas started their "parade" around town today since they won and it's pretty much a tradition for the winning party to parade around the town after the election results are announced.  Can you imagine if that's how we did it in the US?  No wonder violence erupts.  And that's just what happened in Frank's site today.  I called him just to chat, but that conversation quickly turned to worry as he informed me that there was a big fight in front of his house with people shooting mortars at each other.  He assured me that he was safe inside his enclosed house and his family was there, but it was pretty scary.  He had notified PC and they were on their way to take him out of his site, but still I worried for him, his host family, and the people in his town.  Apparently, one party won the elections, but the Sandinistas wouldn't give up the town hall.  This is where the fights began.  There were rumors of burning houses and going after people of the opposite party.  Yikes!  Things eventually calmed down after the military and police moved in and sprayed smoke in the street.  However, a man was killed outside in the street.  All of this over the mayoral elections.  It's scary. 

Frank is now safe in Managua, thankfully, and I don't have to worry too much more.  I know that violence like this can take place anywhere, but it's moments like these that make me want to be home with my family and friends.  I'm glad Frank is here (in country) with me and that I live with a host family. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad all are safe..and that you got to talk with Melissa..Take Care and talk to me again soooon...love u soooo much..

    ReplyDelete