Saturday, October 20, 2012

Saying goodbye to some favorite places

Today Frank & I went up to the department of Esteli and it seems that it almost always rains when we go up there and for some reason we're never prepared.  It was hot in Frank's site before we left so we were in shorts and shirts (tank top for me) and we even slathered on the sunscreen.  Just as the bus was pulling up, the rain began to fall :(  Fail.  Well, the bus ride was fine, but we had to wait out the rain a bit once we got up there. 

Our mission for today was to find some hiking shoes for Frank and some pants other than jeans that he could use for hiking.  Well, we found him some shoes and me some rain pants--I forgot I wanted to look for some of these, so good thing we saw them!  We couldn't find any pants for Frank, but hopefully we will soon :)  After our clothes/shoes shopping (I was surprised by how long Frank stayed in the store, but I guess it's because we were shopping for him), we headed to our favorite little place to snack, La Casita.  They serve fresh, homemade cheeses, breads, jellies, honeys, teas, etc.  It's pure deliciousness and we were glad to be there.  But, it was also a bit sad because we had to say goodbye to our favorite little place since this was most likely the last time we'd be able to make it up there before we leave. 



Our lunch: homemade wheat bread, various homemade cheeses, hummus, mint tea, & banana bread

We also realized while we were there that this is my last weekend visiting Frank's site since the next weekend we have our presentation and get together with PCVs, the weekend after that is the election so no traveling allowed, the weekend after that is our last weekend in Nicaragua and Frank has a charla to give so I might meet up with him in Managua/Masaya.  Also, Frank's last weekend in Boaco was this past weekend and we didn't even realize it until today.  He's gonna try to come back one last time at least for a day to say goodbye to my family.  Oh my gosh things are finally starting to get real.  Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. wow...getting real for us too...we need to shovel out the spare/your room soon..Really looking forward to reading and hearing about the next few weeks..Will send final package/envelope in the morning..Will be a race to see if it gets there.before you move on to Peru..Will also send a letter...will indeed have a race.Work hard and finish strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please make room for me :) Hope the letter & package arrive before I leave! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete