Friday, October 5, 2012

Noise ordinance

There is no such thing as a noise ordinance here in Nicaragua.  There are no rules about how much sound you can make and what hours should be off limits.  Celebratory freedom?  Sure, but try being woken up by what sounds like loud explosions and cannons being shot off at 5am!  Musical freedom?  Sure, but try taking a nap mid-day and you won't be able to because the cars driving by have their music on to share with the world and the announcement cars play their announcements even louder in order to penetrate the walls and fill your ears with what "needs" to be heard.  Lovely.

This morning I didn't hear "bombas" (loud firework type things used to celebrate saints, holidays, even set off in funeral processions); I didn't hear any cars in the streets.  I heard my family and that was enough.  It wasn't just them getting up at 6am and doing their morning routine.  It was 6am and the TV was blaring and they were talking/shouting in the kitchen which is right outside of my door.  Seriously?  Then, the TV went lower and the computer came on to play loud music to which my sister husband began to sing.  Seriously?  6-A-M.  Not. Cool.

I got up a little later after I couldn't fight it anymore and got ready for school.  I went out into the kitchen and then a few minutes later the music was off and they were off to their morning chores.  Seriously?  For a minute I was seriously considering tossing an extra pair of headphones out of my room when the music was playing earlier, but didn't.  Nicas just don't do that.  They gotta share their music with everyone.  Even on the bus.  Some people use their MP3 players with headphones, but a lot just listen to their music off their phone blasting for all to "enjoy".  It's not a matter of respect here; it's just part of the culture.  That's something I've definitely had to get used to, but now that I'm almost outta here, I can say I'm really not gonna miss that.

No comments:

Post a Comment