Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hallo-what?

So Halloween really isn't celebrated here in Nicaragua.  There is a celebration near Halloween where some people dress up like devils and creatures from myths & legends and have a parade in Masaya, but that's just over there.  The rest of the country is awaiting Christmas and La Purisima (the celebration of the Virgin Mary).  Since Nicas don't really celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving doesn't really pertain to them, the malls are now decked out in Christmas cheer.  I'm sure that many places in the US have Christmas decor out as well since it's pretty typical for people to get a jump on things, but I thought it was pretty crazy to walk into the mall in Managua two weeks ago and see people setting up the giant Christmas tree.  It's weird because this is the third time I've seen the Christmas tree in the mall here... once during training, last year, then now.  I'll be glad to see all the Christmasy stuff back home--I love it all!

Tonight I have a dinner with the English teachers here in Boaco.  I'm not quite sure what they have planned, but it will be neat to get together with them one last time before I have to take off.  They really are nice people and they try hard.  I hope it's not too sad of a goodbye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment