Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Back to the grind

I like school and being in class and seeing the students and talking with teachers and giving lessons and all that stuff.  I bet you're thinking, well that's good since you're a teacher ;)  Well, yeah, I guess it is.  Today was a good day teaching-wise.  Well, for the most part.  I enjoyed being in Access class this morning because my attendance has been sporadic thanks to some minor medical issues and some major senioritis!  It was good seeing my students and hearing them use their English.  They still have a lot to work on, but they're doing really well and it's exciting to hear them speak.  Today we took a group picture and I took advantage of this opportunity to do my newspaper picture--taking a pic for my local newspaper back home.  Unfortunately though, I didn't have my camera, just my phone and apparently I didn't get the big group picture with me in it on my phone, but Edwin has it on his camera so hopefully I'll get that soon so I can send it in.  I told the students that they could be famous, so I don't wanna let them down ;)

This is the older group--been with them since the beginning.  They really do know how to take a picture ;)

Both groups :)

I even went to the instituto as much as I dread going, but it turned out to not be so bad.  I then rushed home because Ruth wanted me to go with her to take Dyland to the preschool again to see if she could enroll him,but they weren't ready when I got home (even though she told me to come home earlier than I was planning on coming home), then she was feeding Dyland, and then he fell asleep.  Well, another day I guess.  Anyway, I got to play with Dyland later when he woke up and later on that night when he was running around in his jammies.  He's just so stinkin' cute, and I can't resist playing with him when he's in his jammies :) 

Last but not least, I met with a teacher tonight to give him one of the manuals for teaching English from Peace Corps and he was super happy to receive it.  I also gave him an English Bible (thanks to my church back home for sending me those--I've given one to each of my teachers which have really appreciated them!).  He was really happy about that too, especially because Bibles can be expensive and it's really hard to find one in English here, well at least understandable English.  He said he saw one before and the way he described it it must have been old English or something so I'm glad this one will be better for him.  It's funny how religion is so intertwined in everything here.  It's completely acceptable to talk openly about religion here & give people Bibles without offending anyone or breaking any rules.  It's very different.  It has it's pros & cons like anywhere I guess, but today worked out for the better and I was glad to give him that gift.

P.S. That teacher made me write him a note and sign my name in each of those books.  Come to think of it, the last teacher I gave a manual to asked me for the same :)

No comments:

Post a Comment