Monday, November 14, 2011

Just walk

Today I walked home from the instituto twice.  Well, because I went there in the morning for a class, walked home, and then went back in the afternoon for another class and walked home.  Sometimes I take a taxi, but I usually try to at least walk on my way back home to get some exercise and not pay for 4 taxi trips in one day.  The walk is not terrible: a solid 20 minutes at a good pace, but it's up and down some steep, long hills.  On hot, sunny days in the afternoon though, it can be almost unbearable, so sometimes I take a taxi home so I don't pass out on the side of the road.  However, today I walked home before the sun was too strong and there were several students and a teacher leaving at the same time so I walked with them.  It was very enjoyable.  The students (all girls) were telling jokes and asking lots of questions and the teacher (female) asked me about my work and other things--she even commented on how well I speak Spanish (YES!).  I'd never met her before so that was nice getting to know her.  I usually walk home by myself, so this was fun.

On my way home in the afternoon, it was cloudy and a little cooler since it rained around noon today.  There were some boys from some of my classes walking home after helping my cp clean a classroom.  They chatted with me the whole way back.  That was fun too--sweet kids.  I'm really glad I didn't take the easy way out and miss these conversations.  My foot started hurting a little along the way because of those darn cobblestones and inadequate footwear (my fault--darn cheap sandals!), but it was worth it.

I kinda like not having the option to drive everywhere, forcing exercise.  It feels good and many Nicas tell me they are amazed that I walk around so much.  They walk, but I guess they don't go to that many places in one day (or some will take a taxi).  Taxis are tempting, but being on a budget is also a good way to keep me from being lazy.  I hate spending money on a taxi when I know I can do the walk.  I try to save taxis for really rainy days, when I have lots of groceries, or when I need to get somewhere quickly.  Also, stopping by the ice cream shop after a long walk doesn't sound as bad as stopping by the ice cream shop after a taxi ride ;)

P.S. Taxi rides are 10 cords (approximately 45 cents) anywhere in town--bigger towns charge more (15 cords and up depending on how far you need to go).

No comments:

Post a Comment