Sunday, November 20, 2011

1 year down, 1 more to go

This past weekend a group of us PCVs got together in Granada to celebrate our 1 year of Peace Corps service.  It feels like quite an accomplishment being here a whole year and not crying to go home haha just kidding!  Our experiences differ greatly, but we all share a common piece and we can all relate to each other through food, host families, and the occasional sicknesses.  We have already been in Nicaragua a year (Sept. 1, 2011) but this week marks our 1 year in PC service (after swearing-in last November) and 1 year in our service sites.  I can't believe I've already lived in Boaco for a year, but at the same time, when I reflect on the relationships I have with my host family here and the things we've experienced together, it feels like forever.  It's incredible how quickly you can get to know someone here and how close you become.

Frank and I have been dating for almost 8 months.  It feels like so much longer--Nicaragua is strange like that.  Here we grow close to each other, and the other PCVs, because we understand each other and what we are going through when a lot of even our closet friends and family members back home can't relate.  We lean on each other and laugh about awkward situations we've endured and uncomfortable bathroom stories that never would have slipped out from my lips had I not crossed over into this over-sharing life called Peace Corps.  But it's good and I wouldn't change it.  It's awesome to have a support system here, and someone close who I can share my worries with and receive encouragement.

Now that we're in the middle, it sorta feels weird.  We have passed the hump and now are headed downhill, but there seems to be so much left to be accomplished.  The next few months are gonna be busy and I'm looking forward to family time, but I'm also hoping that this next school year starts off right and that I can take advantage of a fresh new year.  I have big hopes!

I also want to travel more and explore the countries around Nicaragua.  I have a short time frame in between finishing PC and returning back to Gonzaga, but hopefully I can squeeze some good memories in there :)

I'll see y'all this time next year in Oregon--can't wait!

Frank and me at the top of a cathedral bell tower in Granada.  The main cathedral in the central park and Lake Nicaragua are behind us.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you all had a super time,Glad you had the chance to catch up with the group.We are really looking forward to our upcoming visit.Even bought a few new roller bags to haul everything down there.Love you and miss you more.

    ReplyDelete