Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Not exactly as planned

We had our meeting for the new Access group yesterday which was cool to see all the new, shiny faces of the students :)  Edwin surprised me by asking me to say something to the parents and students (in Spanish of course) and I basically just said that I was excited for the new group to start about 5 times because I couldn't think of anything right off the top of my head, especially in Spanish.  Oops. 

After that meeting, was the meeting with the Ministry of Education which didn't happen.  I got there and asked about the meeting with Peace Corps and they told me they changed their other meeting to tomorrow and asked if we could just come back.  I reminded the secretary that our PC bosses were coming all the way from Managua and another PCV from a town outside of Boaco for our previously schedule meeting, but that didn't help much.  I talked to the representative of the department of Boaco on the phone and he suggested the same thing about moving the meeting to the next day (today), but I told him the same story and he acted so surprised that all these people were coming.  I know my boss spoke with him and confirmed the meeting with him.  Ugh :(  Well, our PC bosses arrived, the PCVs and their counterparts arrived, and we basically had a short meeting with some secretaries telling them how important this meeting was and that it was necessary for the representatives (kind of like superintendents) to be there because the information was for them.  Anyway, at the end they decided that we, the PCVs, would return the next day to present our information to the representatives at their meeting starting at 9am.  The secretary even called and confirmed that we could have the first time slot at 9am so they could continue their meeting after.  I was not so happy about this as I had put in a lot of work organizing the location and food.  Oh yeah, I had to call the poor lady and cancel the 16 lunches I had ordered.  I felt terrible because she had already purchased the food :(

Well, last night I got sick from who knows what anymore.  It's pretty much worthless trying to figure out what the cause was and just go straight for the meds.  My stomach didn't feel so well and then later came the frequent trips to the bathroom.  Again, I'm so glad I have a private bathroom :)  It makes being sick so much easier.  Anyway, I took some tums and started on rehydration salts and then I remembered that tums/rolaids can dehydrate you.  Not exactly the best combo I guess, so I laid off the tums. 

This morning I woke up feeling so so and headed to the lab to drop off my specimen and wait for the results.  I found out that my fellow PCVs went to the meeting at 9am and the reps told them to return at 11:30am.  Seriously?!  Pretty crappy.  I'm glad I didn't have to deal with them again.  I retreated to my room and watched a little TV, continued with the Hunger Games trilogy (sooo good by the way), and rested until it came time to go back to the lab.  From my results, which are always in Spanish techy language, I decided that I had a parasite.  Oh, fun!  Haven't had one of those before!  I tried calling PC, but the doctors were in meetings...blah.  So, I had to wait for quite awhile before finally calling back a third time and insisting to speak with a doctor.  All I needed to do was read them my results and listen for the meds I needed.  I chatted with one of the doctors and she told me that I had both a parasite and bacteria.  Perfect.  Well, at least I knew what I had and then she prescribed me some meds and briskly walked to the pharmacy to find those life-saving pills.  Today I was experiencing a lot of stomach bloating and cramping, usual symptoms of a stomach bacteria infection.  I was sure glad to get ahold of those meds and stopped by the gas station to pick up some gatorade too. 

So, today I've basically been just chillin' in my room sipping gatorade, but it wasn't as glorious as it sounds.  Being confined to your bed feeling like your stomach is growing to twice its size and cramping just enough to make you very uncomfortable and forcing you to take deep breaths is not so lovely.  Fortunately, the cramping and bloating comes in waves so there is some off time.  Usually when I'm sick, I don't tend to eat much, especially with a stomach bacteria because your stomach feels so bloated anyway you don't really feel hungry.  However, I did get too servings of oatmeal in as well as some pieces of bread and apple juice.  It wasn't too bad, but bland foods sure do get boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment