Monday, May 21, 2012

Lots of things

A lot of things have happened since last week...some good and some bad.  I'll start off with the good, which came first anyway. 

This past Saturday was Frank's birthday so I went to Dario to surprise him early which was fun.  I really did surprise him and he jumped and shouted a little when I popped out from behind his door :)  It was nice to spend some time together before celebrating with everybody else and we had some time to go shopping to get all the supplies. 

Early Saturday morning we headed out to Masaya to meet up with some other PCVs to catch a bus to the Laguna de Apoyo (the lagoon in the middle of a volcano near my training town).  We got down there and took a dip in the water and started getting things ready.  Jasser even joined us which was cool.  We had a good group of people, including 2 Nica boyfriends of some PCVs and had a BBQ down by the lake before the rain started.  I made Frank a special "cake" that he really wanted, which we even brought ingredients from the States for.  Silly boy...can I say high maintenance??  Anyway, it was a delicious graham cracker pudding cake.  Make vanilla pudding, mix with cool whip, layer graham crackers and the pudding mix in a baking dish, then on the last layer of graham crackers, spread chocolate frosting and put in fridge for 24 hours...  Well, we didn't exactly have 24 hours, but it still turned out delicious and everybody licked their plates clean.

We got a lot of swimming in and relaxing lakeside which was nice.  It was exactly what Frank wanted--something chill by the lake hanging out with friends. 





After the celebrations we headed back up the crater wall and to Masaya where we grabbed some lunch before parting ways.  The park in Masaya has some delicious pizza and smoothies! 


We all made it home safe and sound, despite some rain.  Now, on to the not so good news…

I came home and found that my floors looked a little muddy, sort of like someone had been in my room.  Nope.  No one had been in my room, but it did get flooded.  Ugh!  I then began to scan the room and see all of the things that were on my floor.  Fortunately, I don’t leave too much stuff on my floor, and the things that were on the floor were organized in cardboard boxes.  Unfortunately, cardboard boxes are not waterproof and the things inside definitely got wet :(

I ended up taking pretty much everything out of my room, including my bed since it was dirty underneath from water and dust mixing, and had to sweep and mop the whole room.  I designated the kitchen table as the drying station and set up my fan.  I told myself I wasn’t going to cry as tears pressed toward the surface each time I discovered something else sopping in the rain water.  I held it together fairly well until I called Frank and I just broke down.  It was just the most frustrating thing to come home to, especially because my family knew the water had come into the house and they didn’t go into my room to mop it out or even put a towel down in front of my door to prevent water from entering.  Apparently, this happened to them before I was living here and it ruined several of their things.  Gee, wouldn’t it have been a good idea to take care of that?  Ugh :(  So, Frank calmed me down and of course said loving words which helped and I tried to take slow breaths and not get too upset.  My sister Ruth did help me, as well as her husband, which was super nice.  They helped take my bed out and mop up all the water and then Ruth brought some empty cardboard boxes that she had to help me organize the dry stuff that I had after I threw away all the ruined boxes.  All I had wanted to do when I got home was take a shower and maybe a nap, but that did not happen.  I reminded myself though that they were just things and things can be replaced (or dried in this case). 

Things are still drying as we speak…books and notebooks which take awhile.  And, my room is a little messy as I’m trying to reorganize things and decide where to put things that don’t have a cardboard home anymore.  I’m going to utilize the top of my dressed for more things to keep them out of reach.  

So, the really bad news.  Well, I found out the other day from Jasser that my host uncle/counterpart was arrested after being accused of "being" with a young girl.  I'm not sure if the accusation is true or not, but unfortunately, he is in jail and the system here is a little different, more like guilty until proven innocent.  I guess today there was a meeting and my host dad was at the police station trying to talk to somebody, but what I found out was they have to wait until the next Monday to have another meeting.  I'm not entirely sure what all is going on, but I know that my aunts here are upset about the situation, the one in Managua even came in to Boaco today.  I hope that things will get resolved quickly, but I have no idea what's going to happen.  Please pray for this situation.  Like I said, I really don't know if it's true or not what happened, but he is in jail and he's had a lot of health problems recently so I'm sure he's not doing well.  

I don't want to end on that, so I'll share some other things.  Tomorrow I have a presentation with the Ministry of Education and Peace Corps here in Boaco.  I will be presenting about the English program here, along with my Access counterpart, Edwin.  I'm excited about it, but also kind of nervous because the whole presentation is in Spanish and Edwin was having me practice with him and correcting my pronunciation and everything.  It's very humbling since I correct his English and now the tables have turned :)  Definitely could also use some prayer for that too!

Well, I can't believe we're over half way through May, only a week and a half left!  I'm actually really excited for June to be here because Frank & I will be going to Maryland :)  Also, it's my Dad's birthday month!  But, I gotta keep my mind in the now because there are still lots of things to do before all of that.  Glad I could update you and I hope that you aren't too worried about me.  I have a good support system here too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment