Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day!

Happy May!!  Can't believe it's already the 5th month and we're almost half way through the year!  It sure is crazy how fast time goes by. 

We ended April with a birthday celebration for a friend in another community in the department of Boaco.  It was nice to go somewhere else for a change and fun to celebrate for another PCV.  We even went out dancing :)

After that, Frank and I went to his place and I decided it was time for a big clean.  He agreed once we found out that a mouse had been there...Yuck. and then a giant spider appeared...Double yuck.  Oh and then a cockroach was living in his drawer.  Triple yuck!  The mouse ran away up into the roof but Frank told me he killed the spider which was up high on a wall above his closet.  He left for a meeting and I continued cleaning some things.  His clothes were in his closet but not very well organized.  They looked like a mountain of mixed clothes so I decided to take everything out, sort them, and then let him decided if there was anything he wanted to get rid of and then put away.  While I was taking some things out, I found the spider that he promised me he killed.  Big fat liar.  Those were the exact words I used in the text message I sent him.  After I cleared out all the clothes, I enlisted some help to kill and remove the spider from the room. 

I made sure Frank knew that the spider scared me and that he was a big fat liar haha  His punishment: keep cleaning! hahaha  No, we organized the clothes and such and made a yummy dinner and watched a movie together :) 

The next morning though, we found that the mouse must have returned because a few bags of food items on his shelves had small holes chewed in them.  Quadruple yuck!  He's never had a problem with rodents before, but he had been gone for about a week and it's starting to rain a little so maybe it drew the little thing inside.  Well, Frank is setting up a trap tonight.  I'm so glad I'm not there to hear that thing snap in the middle of the night.

However, I'm back in Boaco and Jasser informed me that he saw a large mouse run behind the TV.  Seriously?!  We both are scared of those things so finally a cousin came over and pushed the couch back and got the thing out and hit it with the broomstick.  Ugh.  Thousand times YUCK!  I gagged.  Can we please stop all of this?  Now.

Ok, I don't want to end this blog entry on something gross.  So, I'm going to tell you a really happy story from today.  I was on my bus ride home to Boaco and the bus turned down this little rode and stopped and there was a group of people outside.  One boy set off a firecracker right by the bus.  Well that was weird.  I guess today is Labor Day but I didn't think they did firecrackers for that.  Well, another one went off and then I saw the people had balloons and they started cheering and one had an empty wheelchair.  Then, a young boy appeared out my window as he was being lowered from the bus and into the wheelchair.  The group (his family) was cheering and setting off firecrackers to welcome him home from Managua.  It brought tears to my eyes how sweet everything was.  He must have been gone for a little while and they were so excited to have him home.  I wish I could have made a video of it, but it's definitely stamped in my memory.  Happy thoughts to you all too!

2 comments:

  1. Great story, the little boy,not the mouse.Remember when we had a mouse and had to have the Folz all come over to help..Such fun times!!..love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah, I was hoping my story wouldn't be too graphic for you :)

    ReplyDelete