Thursday, September 1, 2011

Happy Day!

This day marks 1 year of me being in Nicaragua.  That's right, a whole YEAR in country now.  It's been quite a roller coaster and at times felt reeeeallly slow, but it still doesn't feel like a whole year has gone by.  I feel a sense of accomplishment.  How many people have spent a year in a developing country, living with the people, taking bucket baths and cold showers, eating a limited variety of foods, and getting an incredible experience out of it?  I feel lucky.

There are so many wonderful memories from this past year and I'm so glad that I kept a blog so I can look back and reminisce.  I remember arriving in Managua this day last year at the airport, being greeted by some PCVs, throwing our bags in a big truck, and packing into some vans to head off to this place called "Granada".  Never thought I'd spend so many weekends back in that place.  I remember being in a pretty nice hotel and thinking, wow, I could get use to this, but then we were whisked away 2 short days later to live with host families.  Our first few days in country were a whirlwind and I remember going through so many emotions and a lot of uncertainty.  I met some nice trainees and was excited, but so overwhelmed at the same time.  I'm glad I stuck with it.

Something else to be happy about: today I have been dating Frank for 5 months :)  This, too, I can't believe.  It doesn't seem like a long time, but it's been so good.  I feel like we've been dating for much longer just because I feel we know each other so well and make each other so happy. 

Although it's raining and cloudy this morning, I have two specific things to be happy about today and so many things and people to be thankful for.  I am truly blessed.  Thank you Lord for protecting me (and my group here).  Thank you for encouraging me in rough times and letting me take joy in the celebrations.  Thank you for putting such wonderful people in my life here.  Thank you for the support I have from family and friends back home.  Thank you for growing me into a better person.

1 comment: