Sunday, September 25, 2011

Peeping Tom

So this "quiet" weekend turned into something else last night as I became the victim of a peeping tom.  Don't worry, nothing bad happened, but it sure gave me a good scare! 

Yesterday was a pretty boring/lazy day and I was just hanging around the house waiting for my host mom and Ruth to come back from the finca.  Ruth's husband came over from Granada to surprise her and so He, Hazzell, and I waited around for them.  I mostly did my own thing and hung out in my room.  Ruth's husband was getting a little wild, drinking Tonas and calling friends.  I thought it was kinda weird that he was drinking so much when it was just us in the house.  There was a boy hanging out with Hazzell, but he wasn't drinking. 

Anyway, my door had been closed and I heard the noise stop and the room doors shut so I assumed everybody went to bed.  I was just sitting in my room with the light on, TV on, and browsing things online.  My fan was on as well and it was blowing my curtains.  Earlier I had closed my curtains, but I glanced over and saw that part of them was open.  Hmmm, I guess the fan blew it open.  I got up to go fix it and noticed that the screen I had on the window was pulled up and the moquito net/curtain on the outside was untucked.  I pulled the curtain closed to clip it and heard a loud noise outside, like something moved and hit something on the back porch.  My heart started racing.  It sounded like it could have been a person that freaked me out.  My window has bars, but sometimes when I hear noises out back it scares me and I think that someone might have gotten into the back patio.  Which by the way is nearly impossible because there are big bars with spikes on top and then barbed wire all over.  Anyway, I wanted to shut the glass part of window, but I didn't want to open my curtains again because I didn't want to see anything outside.  So, I carefully pressed the curtain to the window and slid the windows down so they were closed.  I turned off my fan and turned the volume down on the TV and listened for a minute or two to see if anything was moving outside.  I didn't hear anything so I decided to just go to the bathroom and then head to bed.  I turned on my bathroom light and walked into my bathroom (which also has a small window to the back patio) and I saw a hand on the bars on my bathroom window (assuming he was trying to climb up to look in), to which I screamed and then started shouting "What are you doing?! What are you doing?!" in Spanish and calling out Ruth's husband's name to see if it really was him.  I ran out of my bathroom and into my bedroom and heard him walk to the room he had been staying in out in the patio and close the door.  Ok, by then I was SUPER freaked out because it was really dark out and all I saw was a hand in my window.  My heart was certainly racing and I actually was shaking.  No joke--I looked down at my hands and they were shaking.  I didn't really know what to do so I called Hazzell's cell phone and told her to come to my room.  She came over and I told her everything and she said that he was drunk and was trying to leave the house earlier on his motorcycle but she told him not to.  It was very weird.  So, I locked the back door so he couldn't come in the house if he was going to try later. 

I still had to go pee so I asked Hazzell to use her bathroom.  She unlocked the door on the other side and came running out to tell me there was a bat in the sink.  I peered in and saw a little bat just lying in the sink.  I decided to grab a big bowl from the kitchen and just put it over it in the sink because I was NOT going to use the bathroom with the potential of a bat flying at me.  I made her stay right outside the bathroom and then I ran out.  We chatted a little and then parted ways.  I was still really freaked out and didn't want to go to bed.  I tried calling Frank, but his phone had died and he hadn't had power so I couldn't reach him.  So I decided to watch some TV and try to keep my mind off things...  Frank's power finally came back on around midnight so he called me and comforted me.  I was so thankful to talk to somebody about it and then talk about other things to get it off my mind. 

I had dreams about it, about trying to tell my host family about what happened.  It wouldn't leave my mind.  It was just so creepy.  Fortunately, Jasser came this morning and I got to talk to him about it and we left the house for the day to stay away.  By the time we came back in the early afternoon, he was gone.  Not sure where he went or when he left, but he never said anything to Hazzell and Jasser.  I'm just thankful he's not here.  Never did I feel unsafe, just was super creeped out.  I knew he couldn't have gotten into my bedroom, but I was just weirded out that he was watching me.  It's a good thing I wasn't changing or anything...

I'm ok now, but I'm still going to talk to my host mom about it when she gets back from the finca, because he really shouldn't be drinking here when it's just us girls in the house. 

2 comments:

  1. I too am a little freaked out..glad you are going to have conversations with your mom...and be sure that it doesnt happen again!!You can call us anytime you know..But I do love Franks reaction best!! Am really liking that young man!!Love you much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sorry I didn't call you before/after posting this hehe But I'm ok :) And Frank did say he would have punched the guy haha

    ReplyDelete