Friday, September 2, 2011

English

Today I went to the Embassy program class to talk to the new teacher and see the students.  I got there early because apparently they changed the time back to 8-10am from 7:30-9:30am.  Oh well.  It was nice to see all the students again :) 

When the teacher came, she seemed so bubbly--I've actually met her before.  She spoke English right off the bat and continued with it while speaking with the students.  I was so impressed!  It's not very common for English teachers here to use so much English in the classroom, whether they know it well or not, because of a few different reasons.  Some think that the students won't understand anything; some say the students ask them to speak Spanish or act up when they're not speaking Spanish; and some don't feel comfortable using the language.  I was so happy to see this teacher using English for the majority of the time and she was so confident.  I know she teaches English in another school--this might be a good opportunity to see if I can maybe work with her so we can learn from each other.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to helping out with the class so starting next week, I'll be teaching American culture again.  Any ideas for topics???? 

2 comments:

  1. pop culture as they see on tv or the internet is not what we,the everyday american, are all about...have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my host brother and friend asked me about the show "My super sweet 16" on MTV and I had to convince them that that was NOT normal haha

    ReplyDelete