Monday, July 19, 2010

Starting Off Right

So Day 1 of Week 2 is complete (class and teaching-wise) and I feel much better than last week.  The weekend went by pretty quickly, but I got a lot done and still had time to relax, watch Friends, and get to bed early.  I wanted to take a better attitude with me into this week because last week I was so frustrated with all of the confusion and everything going on between our class and teaching.  I feel a lot better and I'm hoping my good attitude will continue through these next two weeks and spill into my classes. 

It's easy to get upset about things, but we also need to let things go.  Let them roll off our shoulders.  There's been quite a few times when some students in my Spanish class have got upset (cried, pouted, left the room) when they didn't get a sticker, or didn't win a game.  I try to console them and remind them that we will play more games for stickers, but this is just for fun and it doesn't matter if you "win" or "lose".  However, everyone takes things personally.  Adults usually don't show it as much through crying or pouting (although some do) but we just do it in another way...gossip, talking behind others' backs, etc.  It's silly if you really think about it, but we let our emotions get the best of us and it changes who we are.  I wish we could be more friendly toward each other.  I wish we could give up our pride and be real with each other.  Be kind. 

I love the song "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath, because I really wish that I could borrow God's eyes to see things the way He does.  I wish that not only could I see others the way He sees them, but also see myself the way He sees me.  If we could fully comprehend the love God has for us and see ourselves and others through His eyes, we wouldn't judge others or have to be self-conscious about beauty, weight, clothes, etc.  God's eyes don't look to those things; He sees our hearts. I want to look at people through God's eyes to see how beautiful this world could be.

I know it sounds silly, but the movie Shallow Hal kind of had something on this. The main character was hypnotize and saw beauty in people from their personalities, not their actual outward appearances. People who were kind, honest, and genuine would appear very attractive to him, whereas, people who were rude, untruthful, etc. were not physically attractive. It's interesting to think about this because so much of what people initially judge others by is outward appearance and physical attraction. But these fade when a person's character emerges. What is really important is our heart & our character, because these make up who we are.

I know I'm getting a little deep here, but it's good think about these things, especially if we are working or spending a good amount of time with other people in our lives.  Being a teacher, I want to be a model of good character and I want my students to feel value, not for their academic achievement, but for their effort and integrity.  Of course we do have to measure things by standards and grades, but every day, every person should be given an abundance of love and grace.  It's only fair :)

No comments:

Post a Comment