Friday, July 30, 2010

Done!

Today was our presentation day for the language camps.  It was so exciting to see all of the kids performing things that they learned over the past 3 weeks.  I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but our summer program is a big English camp funded by the public school district here.  Gonzaga hosts it and we had around 240 kids attending.  Most of the students are immigrants and refugees and many people in Spokane do not realize the diversity present in their own city.  It was amazing to see all the kids today and 27 languages represented. Wow! 

Now let me take a few minutes to brag about our Spanish camp kids... I'm so proud of our students (all 14 of them).  We had a great Spanish camp and enjoyed learning together.  Today our kids sang "De Colores", a traditional Spanish song that's loved by many.  We chose the Raffi version which brought back wonderful memories from my childhood :)  The kids did such a great job & my friend recorded it on my camera so I'm excited to watch it again!  This was the first year for a Spanish camp and Gonzaga and I hope it won't be the last.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to teach it next year, but I'm excited for someone else to continue the legacy haha

I also finished my summer class and we had a little graduation, certificates and all.  This has been quite a crazy day and it's only 3:30pm.  We had a mini TESL conference this morning and I got a call from a Peace Corps lady telling me that a Spokane newspaper reporter would be contacting me today for an interview and a photographer would be coming to the performance.  This was exciting, but crazy with everything else going on.  Then, I got an email from PC about staging, telling me the details about my hotel in DC & that I need to call to arrange a flight, etc. so that got me all excited.  Basically, I had a million things on my mind!  So the reporter called me and I thought she was coming to interview me, but instead did a phone interview--makes me so nervous!!  I think it went well though.  Then the photographer was there at our performance and he took lots of pictures and then we walked around on campus and took pictures around there too.  I felt like a celebrity of course haha no, not really!

Now, I'm taking a little time to relax before heading over for the teacher party at a brewery.  Then out to celebrate my birthday with friends.  I've been having so much fun these past weeks and I'm sad for it to end.  But, I'm looking forward to Oregon so much and finally getting some rest and relaxation before heading off to Nica.  I might treat myself to a massage as a birthday present...

Oregon, here I come!  (Well, I'll be there Sunday)

No comments:

Post a Comment