Monday, August 13, 2012

Repeat

Ok as if it wasn't enough to get sick on my actual birthday weekend, but to also get sick on the following weekend when I went away to celebrate, now that's too much.  But, that's what happened unfortunately :(  This time I got sick Saturday night (instead of Saturday morning) so I didn't have to spend the majority of the weekend sick, but I unfortunately had to travel back home during the sickness.  I was glad when the taxi driver didn't mind stopping by a gas station for a quick bathroom break between bus terminals in Managua.  Phew! 

So, I don't know what's been making me so sick lately, but I do know one thing: It's no fun!  Last weekend I took parasite medicine and this time I'm taking stuff for bacteria.  I was planning on going into Managua on Wednesday for something else, so maybe I can check in with the doctors then and just maybe they'll take pity on me and let me stay the night in the air conditioned hotel...probably not, but it's nice to dream about!  Actually, it's not too bad being here in my house; it would just be easier for people to believe that I'm sick if I'm in Managua, and the AC & a hot shower wouldn't hurt ;)

Well, I was feeling a little better last night/this morning but the sickies are creeping back in and I started the meds.  Hope this goes away soon, because I feel terrible for skipping out on my classes.  Although I do have a valid excuse, it's just hard to keep telling people I'm sick, when I don't really look sick. 

Besides the feeling bad, I did have a few days of feeling good and got to celebrate with my honey in Leon, where we first "met" :)  It was nice to go there again and visit a few places that we went that one weekend almost a year and a half ago.  Can't believe it's been that long, but sometimes it feels like I've known Frank my whole life.  I owe a lot of that to Peace Corps for helping me to open up as an individual.  I'm so close to people here because we've been through a lot here and those tough things come out pretty easily.  And, when you're leaving the office with a little brown bag going to the "lab", you can't really make up something else besides the fact that you're going to drop off a "specimen" and you're pretty sure it's bacteria or a parasite.  Never thought fecal matter would bring people closer together, but sometimes talking things out helps haha 

So anyway, Frank & I enjoyed our weekend in Leon and got to see lots of other PCVs since Leon is a hotspot for getaways.  We went to a movie in the air-conditioned theater, toured some museums, and went out for a fancy dinner.  Almost went dancing, but Frank didn't wanna...I tease him that he pulled a "bait & switch" on me when we met because he really stole my heart out on the dance floor in Leon that one weekend so long ago, and ever since he's not really wanted to return to the dance floor :(  I still love him though, and I have gotten him to dance with me a few times.  It just takes a little whining haha

Well, now you know the reasons for my blog absence...I've been out and about and getting sick left and right.  I'll leave you with a quote I read awhile back and something that proves true more and more each day in a third world country: "Never trust a fart"  :P  Too far?  Stop blushing and laugh a little bit!

1 comment:

  1. Good to chat with you,,glad you feelin a bit better.I know its a bummer.Great quote....love ya..

    ReplyDelete