Monday, June 18, 2012

Long weekend

It feels nice to be back in Boaco in my room and to sleep in my bed.  well, haven't gone to bed yet, but you get the idea.  I left last Wednesday for Managua for my charla and it was really nice meeting the new trainees.  They seem like a fun group and didn't seem too stressed out so that made my job easy haha   Anyway, I was in Managua for a few days, then went and hung out with Frank and headed up to Matagalpa for a going away get-together for one of our friends.  It was great to see so many people, but also a little sad to say goodbye to such a fun person.  I guess we'll be having to do similar things real soon...  speaking of which, I took off another link from my chain.  That leaves 21 weeks.  Crazy!  Also, just one week til mine & Frank's trip to Maryland.  Now, that's even crazier!  Time flies and I'm thankful for that right now because I'm really looking forward to this mini vacation :)

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but I started a new thing with my Access class, called Small Talk, which I borrowed from Gonzaga's international students program.  Anyway, we pick a topic, then the students are split into small groups (3-5), and they discuss the topic using only English.  It's been going pretty well so far and last week's topic was pretty interesting--equality.  They've just started reading about MLK Jr. so that book gave them a little grasp on that topic.  I brought up things in Nicaragua as well.  I like controversial topics for the reason that students are usually more interested and they are more apt to participate and voice their opinions.  I took some pictures and videos that I will try to post soon.  The topics are going to blend with the culture topics they are supposed to study each week, so I believe this week will be about freedom.  Let me know if you have any suggestions for some small talk conversations--any kind of topic is cool. 

Oh, and my mom was asking for my Dyland pictures, so here are a few :)


Apparently my roll of tape was plenty of entertainment for this little guy

1 comment: