Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Without a plan

Yesterday I went to the Access class and everything went well--I helped with some pronunciation, a little role play stuff, and had some laughs. 

I went to the instituto after that thinking I was going to be working with 7th grade in the 2 hour session, but arrived to see an 8th grade, 1 hour session.  Hmmm.  Well, apparently the schedule is still working its way into publication, changing each day.  Yesterday the schedule was changed drastically and by mid-morning they were able to give me today's schedule.  Unfortunately, one of the teachers I work with doesn't usually work Monday mornings, but she does on Tuesdays so her schedule for today was changed and she arrived not knowing where or what class she had.  I helped her out with the 7th graders and then moved on to my other counterpart. 

We were doing some review from last week's vocabulary.  My cp was rushing through the phrases and not really giving time for the students to repeat which was a little frustrating--the point of this practice is for students to practice.  Anyway, after he finished that, the vice principal brought him a paper and he told me he would be back.  45 minutes later...he came back to class only to ask me for another favor--to stay for the next class while he finished his paperwork.  Uh, no.  I reminded him that I'm not supposed to be teaching by myself--he can't observe or learn from me if he's not in the classroom...and we can't support each other either. 

Before he started asking me for the favor, I was telling him that the students were being very disrespectful to me--not listening, talking while I was talking, not following directions.  It was frustrating and I knew they only did it because he left the classroom.  Then he started talking about favors... I decided to be firm and told him to listen to me.  I repeated what I had told him and asked him to talk to the students about their behavior.  He said oh yes, yes.  Then continued on with his own business. 

Needless to say, I did not teach the next class.  I actually left the instituto.  I should have left the first class and went to look for him because he knows he's not supposed to do that, but I wanted to finish the project with the students.  This job is really difficult sometimes.  It's frustrating.  I know that it might not be the intention all the time, but I feel like I'm being taken advantage of.  I want to help, but I feel like I'm just there to be tagged in when my teacher wants to leave the ring.  He has done this before--not usually for the entire class, but I've timed him almost every time he says "I'll be right back--you stay here".  Yeah, ok.  Next time, I'll just say, ok I'm going with you.  I need a break too.  Too harsh? 

For me especially, working without a plan is frustrating, but when I can't coordinate well with the teachers I'm working with I feel like I'm letting everyone down.  People keep asking me when I'm going to have community classes and that's stressing me out.  I want to have my schedule at the instituto figured out first before I can plan community classes.  They aren't exactly required, so I might just have to not have one of those community classes since it's causing so much stress right now. 

Good thing: Access program.  It's not perfect.  The teacher isn't perfect.  The students aren't perfect.  But, it's a consistent schedule and I enjoy being there.  Even though sometimes I go to class without knowing what the plans are, I still feel comfortable showing up and jumping in.  Also, we speak English in that class.  I have to get after some students, but for the most part, it's English, English, English :)  Isn't that the way English class should be?  Yes!

Tomorrow I'll be going to the Access class again and I might stop by the instituto and check in on the schedule, but I think the vice principal is getting annoyed with me asking her every hour if they have the schedule ready, so I might just ask my cp.  Vamos a ver! (We'll see!)

P.S. I do have a workout plan--highlight here :)  I've started working out again--yes, it goes in waves, but so far I've worked out twice this week and I feel so good!  I love the way exercising makes me feel--I've been feeling down and stressed lately, so this definitely is a mood booster! 

No comments:

Post a Comment