Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Prayer

Prayer means different things for different people.  Prayers can be spoken or written, drawn or painter, sang or thought.  It's an expression of gratitude and humility.  It's beautiful and unique.

This morning I went to the private school where the Embassy scholarship class takes place.  I walked in as the teacher was speaking to the students about how he wants them to grow this year and improve in their English skills.  He wanted to begin this new semester with a prayer.  He asked the students if any of them wanted to say a prayer.  (Nicas are very open about religious).  A students said my name, which caught me off guard.  Since I had walked in while they were talking about it, I didn't quite catch what I had been volunteered to do, so the teacher told me.  Even though I might have been volunteered because the students didn't want to (I think they wanted to hear me say something), I felt honored to pray for the students and their class for the year.

I'm excited for this group of students.  They're special to me.  I've enjoyed working with them and I'm looking forward to working with them this year.  When I was in the States over vacation, I bought some postcards from Washington DC for them because I had taught them about Washington DC in a culture lesson.  I gave them the postcards today and told them to look up the places online if they didn't recognize any of the buildings.  They were very thankful for them.

I'm feeling a little more optimistic about this school year.  Prayer does help :)  (not that I didn't know that before...)

No comments:

Post a Comment