Sunday, February 12, 2012

Something Sweet

I was in Managua this past week giving a charla to the new group of trainees--this group is the new health group.  Why you might ask am I, an English PCV, giving a charla (training session) to health PCVs?  Well, it wasn't exactly an official "charla" per say, but more of a chat session.  I'm part of the Peer Support Network (PSN) in Peace Corps and we give charlas to all the groups on various topics, such as the one I did on "coping with stress".  Training is stressful because it encompasses a myriad of things from culture issues, body reacting weirdly to new and different foods/climate (aka health issues), language learning, working with people you don't know (Americans and Nicaraguans), among other things.  So, there is a charla for that (just like the iPod apps, right?).  This session involves current PCVs, one or two of the PC medical doctors, and trainees split into smaller groups (5 or 6).  We explain to them that this isn't a session where they will learn new material, etc., but it's something that gives them a little break from the routine and allows them to vent, discuss, and ask questions. 

I really enjoy this charla because I can relate to the trainees because I remember being in their place and I love being able to help and give encouragement, and to LISTEN.  My favorite part of the session is where the trainees talk about expectations they have for their service and all that entails.  During this part, I like to tell the trainees to feel free to ask me anything they want and I'll answer it.  They aren't always open at first, but then questions start firing away.  I tell them to ask me whatever they want to know about Peace Corps, or my life as a PCV, etc.  I always enjoy this time and I think it's good for them to ask those questions they really want to know but are afraid to ask, or don't know who to ask. 

It was really fun chatting with the TEFL group back in October, and fun with the health group too.  I hope that I can do this charla again--I love meeting the newbies and it actually helped me to connect with the new TEFL group too.

Whenever I'm in Managua I always look forward to eating "American" food which usually means going to a restaurant nearby the hotel for nachos or quesadillas and a happy hour drink, or going to the food court in the mall.  This time I went to the mall and was reminded of the lovely little gelato place they have in there.  Two of my friends were enjoying their gelato treat while I was eating dinner and it persuaded me to cruise on over and check things out.  I saw that they added a lot of new flavors since the last time I had indulged, so I decided to sample a few before pulling out the big bucks.  I settled on two flavors to make it a double--go big or go home, right? ;)  This thing was awesome.  Ugh, I'm starting to drool just remembering the delicious chocolate and peanut butter mix and the cool Bailey's cream.  Are you drooling too?  This was a perfect treat to end the night.  Well, I went back the next night too, but that one's a secret hehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment