Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend Happenings

Frank and I did our own things the other weekend, but this past weekend we got to spend some time together which was nice :)  It was his host mom's birthday so I went over there to visit.  I got there Friday and then things changed a bit.  We found out that we needed to go to Managua for Frank to get a check up on his current medical situation--he has a rash from something (allergy or touched a plant--who knows?).  Anyway, so since it was late, we had to stay in Managua.  I wasn't too excited about hopping onto another bus to head into Managua just after arriving in Dario, but the AC and hot shower really made up for that ;)  Frank got some new medicine to add to the pile (still finishing up meds from his sinus infection--he's been a sick boy lately!), picked up his new glasses (since he lost his old ones), and then we headed back to Dario.

We finally just got to hang out a little and have some downtime, which I enjoyed.  Then, a little later, the family had a Purisima in the house, celebrating the immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary.  Usually these things are in late November/early December, but apparently you are allowed to have them until Easter.  And, maybe because it was her birthday they were celebrating together?  I'm not sure, it was a little confusing, but we attended the "service", socialized after, and ate some yummy food :) 

I had made some brownies for Frank's host mom's birthday but I decided to give them to her the next day since there were about 50 or so people at the get together and I certainly did not make 50 brownies in my little "easy-bake" oven as my mom (real mom) likes to call it.

Even though Frank is still a little sick and trying to recover from his reaction, we still had a great time hanging out and I'm looking forward to seeing his this weekend in Boaco--it's been so long since he's been here for a weekend since he's been so sick.  And, it's Dyland's birthday this weekend so that should be fun.  Hope Frank feels better by then :)

Yesterday on my way home, which is always a little unpredictable trying to catch a bus back to Boaco on Sundays, I had to wait for a little over an hour at the bus stop in between mine & Frank's places, because the Boaco buses weren't leaving Managua on time.  I almost considered going back to Frank's since his buses pass by every 15 minutes.  How disappointing is that, seeing one of those pass by so frequently, and stepping up to the curb in hopes of a Boaco bus following it, but it's not there?  Ugh!  Well, one finally came and I pushed my way on.  But then I found out that there wasn't going to be any classes today because they're observing the 117th anniversary of Boaco (yes, I was right with the number).  So, no classes on Friday (they had a parade and then went to the circus) and no classes today (Monday).  Kinda silly I think.  Well, I still had to come back to Boaco because I had my Access class and we were going to have our Karaoke party, which had been canceled last Friday since the events taking place.  However, I woke up feeling not so good and had to call in sick :(  I was really looking forward to the Karaoke and felt bad about disappointing the students, but I was definitely not feeling well.  So, I'm here at the house trying to relax and take it easy.  I think I'll be fine, I was just really hot last night and this morning so I felt a little blah.  I'm feeling better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment