Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Can I get you some stamps for that?

I was a little frustrated with the mail lady today.  I'm not sure what happened to the one lady that I like, but this new one is there (with one of the other original ladies) and this new girl is really slow and not terribly smart (I hate to say it).  Anyway, I've had some issues with her before (nothing bad, just frustrating), and today was something that I just had to laugh at.  So Ruth & I were getting ready to go to the market to pick up some things for Dyland and while she was getting him ready I told her I was just going to run to the post office to mail 2 letters, which is 1/2 block away from our house.  I went there and the one older lady was there but on the computer and she doesn't like to be disturbed, so she told me she was coming, but didn't make it before the other girl (new girl) came back.  So, I told her I needed to send my 2 letters to the U.S. and put them on the counter.  She then asked me "2?"  Yes, there are only 2 letters there and they both say USA.  I just smiled and said yes.  She then got out her little receipt book and started writing out a receipt, even though I've told her every time before that I don't need a receipt for c$20 (less than a dollar).  Oh well.  Then she got out the box of stamps which is a disaster in itself and I've often felt led to step behind the desk and organize it.  So, she was looking through the stamps and apparently couldn't find any close to c$10 for each letter, so she gave me 2 c$1 stamps, and then, wait for it, this is the best part, 16 of the c$.50 stamps.  Are you kidding me?  No these aren't your normal smaller stamps, these guys are about double the size of a standard U.S. stamp.  And, of course my letter was in one of those small 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" envelopes.  I just looked at her and said, they won't fit, but she told me that I could just cover the entire envelope.  Um, okay...

I really wish I had taken a picture of the envelope after I put on all 18 stamps on totaling a whopping c$10, which is about 40 cents.  The entire back part of the envelope was covered and just about every centimeter of space on the front except the addresses were covered.  Seriously?  Seriously.  And yes, these are lick on your own stamps, but I only licked the first two before I started dipping them into the little sponge bowl as I shook my head in frustration.

Then came letter #2.  This was even smaller, which the girl noted out loud to me.  So, I took it upon myself to look through the box and point out some c$1.50 stamps that she overlooked before, and she gave me just 4 of those, then 4 more c$1 stamps.  I'm so thankful for our stamp situation in the U.S. and that they can just print you off stamps of any value.  Heck, you can even do it at home.  So next time you're in your post office, please think of me and buy 20 some, 2 cent stamps to send your next letter, just for the heck of it ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment