Saturday, October 29, 2011

Elections

As it gets closer to the elections, things are getting a little more heated.  There are more rallies and such going on all around Nicaragua, closing streets, etc.  Thankfully, it hasn't been too crazy in Boaco.

Andrea and I had a workshop today in Boaco on pronunciation and it went pretty well, but then we found out that because of all the rallies in Managua today, the buses weren't really running because they were blocking off certain areas/streets in Managua.  So, Andrea had to leave quickly after the taller and Jasser had barely made it home from Masaya and he said that people had been throwing rocks at some buses, including his.  He showed me a picture of where a rock came through a window and ripped a bus seat.  He said one almost hit him in the face.  Yikes!  I was a little nervous for Andrea to go home on the bus, but she took a taxi most of the way.  Frank is stuck in Managua (in a safe hotel) with another PCV that was unable to leave Managua today because of the rallies.  I'm supposed to go to Managua Monday to give a charla Tuesday.  It should be fine by then though because the week before elections is called the week of silence, where they are not allowed to hold rallies, etc.  So, that will be nice.

On other news, I went thrifting again today, but with Jasser & Liz.  Most of the stores were closed but we each bought one thing.  I got a cute colorful tank top--hope you are jealous that I'm wearing tank tops in October!  Actually, I'd rather be wearing a sweatshirt & lounge pants right now (of course in a much cooler climate).  I'm super excited for December because of that.  I know it will be sooooo cold, especially for me coming from Nicaragua, but it will be a nice change in climate (and clothing).  Can't wait to snuggle up in front of the fireplace with a blanket :)

We still don't know what days we will have off of school because the elections will control that.  I'm thinking though that there won't be any school this next week, and probably no school the week after elections.  Then, school is supposed to be over November 24.  We pretty much only have 2 weeks of school left for this semester, but I think it's gonna be kinda crazy.  Vamos a ver! (We'll see!)

2 comments:

  1. good to get an update,,,and great chatting with you today,only 5 weeks and a few days to go.Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's coming up so fast & I'm getting really excited :)

    ReplyDelete