Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bored

I like being busy.  Even though things might seem crazy, I like having plans and a loaded schedule.  It's nice knowing what I'll be doing and having things to get done.  I've been kinda bored the past few days though because I haven't been able to plan with my counterparts, which means that we haven't been teaching.  One of my counterparts was sick today so he didn't go to class--fortunately though, he called me in the morning so I didn't go to the school and wait for him. 

Anyway, I've just been feeling really bored, useless, and lazy.  I'm lacking some motivation right now, and I know that it happens here, especially during our "mid-service crisis".  Right now I'm about a week away from being exactly in the middle of my time here--almost half way done!  I'm not sure if I've accomplished all I've wanted to do, but I've heard that's natural to think that way as well.  We all have good intentions coming here and desiring to serve and make a difference, but the reality is, most of us will not see a big change where we are working.  We might see bits and pieces of progress and/or development, but change takes time.  I just have to remember that when I'm feeling low.  I am making a difference in many different ways.  Cultural exchange is a big part of why I'm here.  It's even part of Peace Corps' goals.  I've learned so much and gained new perspectives.  And I also have the opportunity to share these things with people back home.  I get to show Nicaraguans that not all Americans walk around with thousands of dollars in their pockets (as some believe) and that I don't have to live with AC.  I've introduced them to my parents and they've seen some of my friends on Skype.  I teach them English and they teach me Spanish.  It is an great experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world, even though I do feel bored sometimes.  I just have to remember that there will be ups and downs, but there are some things that remain constant.  God and the support, encouragement and love from family & friends.  Some things come and go, projects start and sometimes finish, opportunities arise and some pass by, but I can be thankful for what I have and be responsible for what I can control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment