Friday, June 3, 2011

New class


One of my counterparts just started working with a new English program in Boaco with the U.S. Embassy here and asked me to help him with it on Wednesdays and Fridays.  I went today for the first time to teach American Culture.  I observed the first hour and then taught the second part.  I was so impressed by these students.  They don't know much English (very basic level) but they seem eager to learn and participate.  The class only had 24 students which is so much more manageable than the classes at my instituto which have 45+ students!  

I’m really excited to work with this class and I think it will be a really good experience.  The students asked me a lot of questions at the end of the class about the U.S. and I talked to some students on the way through town after class.  One boy in particular was really trying to use as much English as he could to ask me questions and chat with me.  It was sweet and I was impressed by his effort.  This has re-sparked my motivation and I’m looking forward to continuing with this class and seeing how the students improve.  It’s hard sometimes at the instituto because the motivation to learn English is not high and students just don’t seem to put any effort into much, so I hope that this new class will give me more patience for the other students :) 

These students were given a unique opportunity by the U.S. Embassy to participate in a 2 year intensive English program that has classes Monday-Friday 2 hours each day.  Books, workbooks, and English dictionaries are all provided.  What an awesome opportunity!  These students seem like they are excited about it too.

2 comments:

  1. that does sound awesome!! I am glad you are getting that opportunity,you will really be busy now what with the school and the other community english class....way to go meg...love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, busy busy! I'm trying to plan a kids class too...we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete