Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Higher Elevations

This weekend I ventured out to a new department, but first stopped at Frank's town to hang out and worked a little.  We went to an NGO called "Seeds of Learning" which seems like an awesome organization that has all kinds of children's programs, classes, and a library!  We helped them get some things ready for a festival that they were getting ready for.  It was neat to check out the place and the people were really nice there.  I need to look for some NGOs in my town to see what I can do with them. 

After we finished up there, we helped out Frank's host family start a tree nursery at their other house.  They had filled bags with dirt and so we moved the bag to a different spot and Frank showed them how to put them together.  Then they planted the seeds.  It was a neat process to see and I'm glad I'm getting to help out with other projects--sometimes I wish we had more things like this.






 
After getting our hands dirty and working hard, we washed up and made a nice pasta dinner.  The next day we headed up to Jinotega to meet up with other volunteers.  I haven't been up there yet but I was excited because Jinotega is up in the mountains and much cooler :)

We went out to lunch with everybody and took things slow, just enjoying time together and exploring the town. 



The next day a small group of us went hiking up to the cross that is perched on a large hill above the city.  It was a pretty steep hike, but thankfully it hadn't rained in a couple days so it wasn't muddy!  It rained after we finished the hike--perfect timing!








It was a great, short, weekend away and nice to enjoy the cooler temperatures in the higher elevations.

No comments:

Post a Comment