Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Celebrations


Yesterday we celebrated our Instituto’s (public high school) 53rd anniversary.  They celebrate the anniversary every year, which is great I guess to recognize another year of students, success, etc.  However, they turn this in to a crazy celebration every year.  I thought it was kind of funny when the principal was telling me about all the things they were planning for the anniversary—a parade, fair, production in the park, selling shirts & hats with the 53rd logo, etc.  Well, Nicas sure know how to party.  

I showed up Monday morning to the designated area and to my surprise, there were already a ton of students and teachers there.  However, the band and dance team was not, so we waited 45 minutes for them to arrive, then organized all the students in lines and got started just before 9am.  We walked slowly through the streets of Boaco leading up to Boaco arriba (on the hill) to the central park. After the parade was a celebration near the central park which lasted until noon, and then we had lunch with the teachers.  Needless to say, there were no classes.

Me with my host cousin's daughter--I'm her English teacher.
Students waiting around
Getting "organized"
School emblem
Dance team getting ready--interesting outfits...
King and Queen
Dance team with coach
Honor students with sashes
Students holding boards for each year the school has been in session--53 years
The students lined up in their grades
Color guard with the Nicaraguan flag and the school flag
Reception area set up near the park for the teachers and special guests
Performance by the dance team
Special dance performance by a student
Steven (my sitemate) and me with our school polo shirts

No comments:

Post a Comment