Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The little things


Tonight I witnessed something that made me proud of what I’m doing here.  My host mom has wanted to learn English and she is a part of my community English class but she hasn’t been able to come to many classes because she goes to her finca with the family often.  She has expressed her frustration from visiting her cousin in Miami and feeling completely helpless and lost in the airport there.  I’ve helped her translate airline print-outs so she can learn to read them and know where she’s supposed to go.  

Well, I had a full English class this past Monday (everybody came), which was exciting and it made me get a little more motivated and I planned the next three classes based on what my students had accomplished.  Tonight I was in my room getting some things together before my English class was supposed to start and I heard some English words coming from the living room.  “Sh-irt, sh-irt.  ¿Qué significa ‘shirt’ Hazzell?”  My host mom was practicing the vocabulary and asking her daughter to help her.  My host sister pulled out her notebook and then they began to study together on the couch, reciting the vocabulary words and memorizing what each one means.  It was so cute—I wanted to take a picture to capture the moment because it felt so special to me as a teacher to see them studying and wanting to learn the words.  I know I’ll keep that picture in my mind though and remember little things like this to keep me going. 

2 comments:

  1. That is so great Megan...what a story.That will be something you will remember and be able to recall as needed to give you encouragement on the "off" days.Compliment her for me,I am happy she is making more of an effort to learn English than I spanish..love you teacher...MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom--yes, we're gonna have to teach you a few phrases so you can practice them here :)

    ReplyDelete