Monday, February 21, 2011

Pinche

Pinche (peen-chay) is a common word among us PCVs because it means “cheap” as to say a person is pinche when they don’t want to spend very much. Well, with our PC budget, we usually end up being pretty “pinche”. It’s funny because things are really inexpesive here for the most part (unless you’re in super touristy areas). I’ve noticed this as I’ve had visitors pass through and hung out with other gringos on short term visits here. They’re always saying, “wow, that’s so cheap!” and I’m thinking “wow, buy me one then” ;) Haha No, not really… If I was here for vacation I know I would be saying the same thing. Just to give you a feel for how inexpensive things are, I’m going to make a list of my recent grocery store purchases. FYI: the local grocery store in Boaco, which is also a chain throughout Nicaragua, is called Palί and is owned by Wal-Mart.

These prices have been converted from Nicaraguan Córdobas to US dollars:
3 Bananas: $0.27
Bag of tortillas (10 small): $0.67
Yellow onion (½ lb): $0.37
3 Roma sized tomatoes: $0.20 (yes, that’s total, not each)
Cucumber: $0.23
Salad sized bag of spinach: $0.35
Green bell pepper: $0.45
Head of broccoli: $0.77
Yogurt: $0.39 (there aren’t as many flavors and the nonfat is a little more expensive)
½ lb of carrots: $0.30
Loaf of wheat bread: $1.15 (not so cheap)

The items that are most expensive are canned vegetables and fresh fruits that are imported: apples, strawberries, and grapes. Bacon is usually pretty expensive as well.

Now, I haven’t been in the States for about 6 months so I’m not sure exactly what the prices are for these things back home, but I’m pretty sure it’s a lot cheaper here. Correct me if I’m wrong. I know when I get back home I’m going to be so pinche and wonder why everything is so expensive.

Just for fun…
Things I miss from the grocery store back home: Honey Bunches of Oats cereal (along with many other cereals), apples (for less than a dollar a piece), strawberries (Oregon grown or at least ripe and decent priced), frozen foods (veggies, fruits, and the occasional pizza), cottage cheese, cream cheese, cheddar cheese (Tillamook is my fav), shredded mixed cheese, string cheese (I pretty much don’t like the cheeses they have here—too salty, spongy, or dry), deli meat (that doesn’t look like bologna or something fake), overwhelming amounts of yogurt flavors, flowers (I loved to buy fresh flowers to have on my kitchen table back home), and snacks (crackers, nuts, rice cakes, granola bars, etc.).

I think the thing I miss the most is having a more varied diet and a better selection of food. I just don’t like eating the same thing over and over, which is pretty common for Nicas. I’ve been trying to be creative, but it’s hard when I don’t have an oven. It’s definitely a challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Is the living allowance enough from month to month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you find a small bunch of flowers somewhere?,I know they are always a pic-me-up.you know how much I love them too..My white daisy looking mums are still looking super from Val.day. Will talk soon,love you so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie: It's sufficient...but it gets tight if you're living on your own (not with a family)--as my friends have said. Also, if you travel around to visit friends, etc. then you won't have as much $$ obviously. They should be increasing it though.

    Mom: I haven't seen any in Boaco--just plastic ones, yuck! I'll ask around though :)

    ReplyDelete