Friday, February 4, 2011

And we danced

I’ve been bugging my family about getting buñuelos which is basically deep fried deliciousness. They keep saying the neighbor sells them but she hasn’t been making them. Well, my host sister’s husband told me today that he knows how to make them so he offered to make some :)

We bought yucca at the market and brought it home to start the process. Ruth (my host sis) and Diner (her husband) peeled the yucca which is not exactly an easy thing to do.



Then, Diner washed the pieces and cut them up to be mashed up. I can’t think of the right word in English so hopefully the picture will help you see. He added cheese and some rice, which apparently my host mom and neighbor thought was weird haha I guess they make them in different ways in different parts of the country.



We took the yucca over to the neighbor’s house to be “mashed up”.


Then brought it back and rolled the mixture into balls.



He then put them in a pan of oil (yum!) to deep fry them.



Diner made a simple syrup with sugar, water, and cinnamon sticks to put on the buñuelos.  Then we drenched them in the syrup and delighted in the fried goodness.



Oh yeah, everybody was in the kitchen during the process listening to music and we danced.

No comments:

Post a Comment