Friday, January 14, 2011

Beach Time


The conference went really well and I enjoyed working with my counterparts and also hanging out with the other volunteers.  Tuesday afternoon our counterparts headed home and the other group of TEFL volunteers joined us at the hotel.  We had some sessions and a little get to know you through funny stories time.  We convinced our boss to extend lunch an extra half an hour Tuesday so we could swim in the ocean during daylight so that was super fun!  It was warm and the water was the perfect temperature.  

Unfortunately, the internet was not so great there, and it probably didn’t help that 30 or so people were trying to use it at the same time.  That’s Peace Corps though—I never thought that I would even have the access that I do, so I’m lucky for that.  Anyway, we had a great time together and that was the best part.  I hadn’t seen a lot of people for about a month and a half, so it was so exciting to be with my PC family again :)
Wednesday morning I got up a little before 6am and headed out to the beach with Melissa and Sam to catch the sunrise.  They swam, but I collected more shells and took pictures of the beautiful sunrise.  I don’t get up early enough to see the sunrise often and this was extra special on the beach.  Although I’m not a morning person, this was sure worth it.


We had meetings and such that morning, lunch, and then we were free after 2:30pm. Some of us decided to hang out by the pool for a little before heading to Managua.  Because our meetings extended into the afternoon, we had a hotel booked in Managua so we didn’t have to chance missing our busses or traveling at night by ourselves.  This was nice because we didn’t have to rush out of there.  A group of 5 of us took a bus to Managua together and then we went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant near the PC office, which was delicious!!!  I’m so sad that I didn’t know about it before.  It’s a little spendy on our volunteer budget, but it was definitely worth it.  I really miss Mexican food!  If course we were craving something sweet after dinner so we headed over to the grocery store and picked up some treats.  I got a slice of cheesecake—I don’t even remember the last time I had cheesecake.  It was so good!  We then just hung out at the hotel for the night…again the internet was acting up though.  This just meant more time to talk with my friends at the hotel :)

6 comments:

  1. glad you had a great time and got to visit your old p.c. friends.thanks for getting info for us on traveling to visit you.looking forward to going over details soon,,,love you soo much

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun rise picture was very nice even if you aren't a morning person. Those diferent sea shells sounds interesting. Grandma likes them and I'll have to visit that area if I get the chance to visit you. We are glad that you got to reconect with your PC friends. Be sure to let use know you start working in school. Take care. We Love you Grandpa & Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sunrise photo and sea shells! I read an article this week that the majority of PC volunteers come from OR and WA. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Photo of sunrise. It sounds to be you had a great time there. I always love get up early in the morning to sea sunrise on the beach. I really love doing that. After that, I will go for small walk.

    ReplyDelete