Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Side saddle on a motorcycle

I'm amazed at how few accidents there are in Nicaragua (or at least that I don't hear about them) with what would be considered as hundreds of safety violations.  The buses behind full beyond capacity with standing passengers, people hanging out the doors, driving very fast down windy roads, passing on corners and while going up hills...yikes!  That's just the buses.  Then there's crazy taxis--no seat belts--that weave in and out of traffic, split lanes, pass whenever, ignore traffic lights, etc.  And don't get me started on the motorcycles--no helmets, families of four riding together with no protective gear/clothing, riding side saddle...oh wait, I got a story about that. 

I always scoff and/or laugh at the craziness I observe in the transportation here in Nicaragua, but motorcycles are a thing that sorta scares me with how reckless they seem.  I've ridden motorcycles before in the States with my grandpa and uncle, but always with a helmet and long pants/jeans, and usually a jacket.  Well, I took a ride back from my instituto with one of my cp's one time and there was not a spare helmet, but I took the ride anyway...I'm thinking I'm losing my good judgment haha  That was awhile back though and I've turned down my host cousin's many invitations to take me on a joy ride on his motorcycle (especially at night).  However, the other day I walked down to the corner to catch a taxi to the instituto and as I waited there, a motorcycle pulled up and it was one of the teachers from the school.  He asked me if I wanted "un ride", yep that's how they say it :)  I looked down at my skirt, thought for a second, and said, "si".  I had seen girls riding side saddle before on motorcycles and thought it was absolutely crazy, and then I found myself, so hypocritical, riding side saddle in a skirt on the back of a motorcycle.  Yikes!  At least he instructed me to sit with my legs on the left side so I didn't burn them on the exhaust pipe.  Thanks. 

I held onto the back bar, like I had seen all the other glamorous Nica girls do, and clutched his backpack for stability.  I didn't quite feel comfortable enough to wrap my arms around him.  Well, I made it safely to the instituto and he even commented on how I knew how to ride a motorcycle as I leaned with him on the curves and such.  I didn't tell him that I was terrified of slipping off, so I just smiled and said, yeah, I've ridden motorcycle with my grandpa and uncle in the states.  I bet I sounded so cool ;) 

P.S. I hope you have picked up on my sarcasm.  Sometimes it's hard to tell in writing...

3 comments:

  1. bet he didnt go over 100mph though like g-pa.You be careful down there..And yes I pick up on your sarcasm...I taught you sarcasm!!!Love you tons,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, he drove at a moderate speed and went very slow over the speed bumps so I didn't slip off haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it sounds exactly like Pakistan. I'm always scared when I see women riding a motorbike sidesaddle with an infant in their lap but hey there haven't been any serious accidents here so I guess people drive more safely. It's interesting to know they do some of the same things in Nicaragua.

    ReplyDelete