Saturday, July 16, 2011

MIA

Sorry I've been a little MIA lately...I left for a training and got sick during that so I've been slowing recovering.  Not quite sure exactly what I had, but it was something stomach/intestines related.  I had nausea, felt really hot at one point, then really cold, was bloated, couldn't eat much, had very little energy, and wanted to cry.  Well, let's be honest, I did cry.  Poor Frank had to take care of me since I was at his place before heading off for my training.  I took some tests, but the doctors didn't know exactly what was the diagnosis.  I didn't have diarrhea, but I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not because it didn't feel good all trapped inside me either.  The doctors gave me some probiotics and I felt a little better, but then the next day I was back to feeling miserable and not being able to eat much.  Then they gave me some other medicine to try to get things going again but I wasn't sure that was helping.  I decided today to not take my medicine and see how I felt since I had been able to eat a little more.  I'm glad I made that decision because I feel so much better.  Last night I had taken some medicine and I felt that it did more harm than good, so today's experiment was a successful one.  I ate A LOT of food and I felt great!  Since I'm here in Granada, I had super yummy blueberry french toast for breakfast--3 big slices of homemade bread! I also ate a cup of fresh fruit and drank tea :)  For lunch I split a panini with Frank and ate hummus with pita bread, olives, onions, tomatoes, and cheese.  This is why we come to Granada--to get the good stuff :)  Glad I could actually eat it!

Another reason for coming to Granada: to see my sister and my little nephew!

He's 4 months old now and 20 lbs, 4 oz!!

Dylan, me, Ruth
A little update about what else has been going on besides being sick, which the PC doctors reminded me that I get sick a lot, or have stomach problems a lot.  I wouldn't say A LOT, maybe every other month.  It's to be expected living in a 3rd world country, right?  Anyway, the weather is pretty rainy, but still warm.  However, in Esteli where we had our training, it was FREEZING!  I mean 68 degrees freezing!  Yes, that is FREEZING here in Nicaragua ;)  I'm gonna be a baby when I go back home after my service, yikes!  Well, it's not cold in Granada, but with the rain comes humidity and my hair has been crazy frizzy for awhile now, but I haven't brought myself to dump globs of gel in my hair, just cuz the Nicas do hehe  I'll try to make myself look presentable for school though.  

Our training went well--it was just us in the TEFL sector and our counterpart teachers.  Mine couldn't make it, but I had a good time seeing everybody else and meeting our new boss.  Our boss is leaving next month because her 2 year tour is over and she's getting married back in the States.  I'm excited to work with this new guy--he seems really cool.  Anyway, it was kinda unfortunate that I was sick during the training for couple reasons.  First, and probably most importantly, I missed out on a bunch of FREE food :(  Peace Corps puts us up in hotels for these trainings and all our meals are included, which means so buying food or making our own stuff.  Second, I missed out on some good hang out time with friends since I was zonked out in my bed.  Third, I missed some good sessions and learning opportunities.  It would have been nice if my counterpart had been there to catch some too, but that's a whole other story.  Oh well.  Now, I'm looking forward to a few more days off of school and being able to eat and feel normal :)  Our town's festivals are this weekend (and next) so get ready for some cowboy pictures coming up soon!  Well, ya'll come back now ya here?!

3 comments:

  1. wow Dylan is getting big..Will we get to visit him when we come in Dec? Cute that he had his bigbird..We all missed your blog...Its been a week and half...glad to hear you are feeling better.call anytime...love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you were sick again, Milly says she has some chicken soup for you. It sounds like your whole organization is still out of wack with your counter part not attend ing the training. We get to baby sit Stevie while you folks are in Pheonix. looking forward to seeing you soon. Love Gramps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom: We will probably visit Dylan when we're in Granada :) Love you.

    Grandpa: Wow! Homemade chicken soup sounds delicious :) Just talked to Dad and he said he dropped off Stevie--have fun! I miss my puppy! Love you both.

    ReplyDelete