Friday, April 29, 2011

Purpose

I know I already blogged today, but I felt the need to share something else.  Am I committing a blogger faux-pas?  Oh well--deal with it ;)

Recently I've been thinking a lot about my purpose here and if I'm really making much of a difference because I know things can be frustrating and I've felt let down here and there.  I've read that most volunteers (if not all) go through this at least a couple of times during their service and I found myself here once again.  However, I just finished an inspiring book, although it challenged me to reflect on who I really am and what I'm doing with my life--that's good for us though :)  Anyway, as I read over a part mentioning a specific verse from the Bible, I was encouraged.  It said "Then I remembered Ephesians 2:10, which tells us that we were created 'to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.'"  This instantly made chills run down my limbs (which is rare in this weather!).  I reflected on this and said, "duh".  I had been praying about this opportunity for a long time and I had no idea where I would go, what I exactly I would do or who I might meet.  This incredible experience I have been living so far was intricately planned for me by my Creator.  He knew what He wanted for me and I am merely following what He has called me to do and living out what He desires.  Of course, I'm not perfect and I struggle a lot, but it comforts me knowing that I didn't just show up to Nicaragua by accident.  God prepared this place for me and He sent me here to do good works.  I also like that this is not specific to say that I will teach "X" amount of students or "X" amount of English teachers will improve their pronunciation, etc.  Good works can mean many things, and I know it includes loving people, understanding hardships, and building relationships.  Yeah, that might not be in my Peace Corps job description, but that's certainly what God has called me to do.  I'm glad I ran across that verse and was able to re-find my purpose. 

Thank you to everyone who has graciously supported me thus far in my journey, whether that be through prayer, phone calls, letters, emails, Facebook messages, snacks, magazines, clothes, and/or school supplies.  I'm grateful for what I have here, but I know it would be difficult without the support I have received. 

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done."    Phil. 4:6

6 comments:

  1. And talking about the gospel to others when it presents itself. I loved reading this cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good fight Sweety. Mom and I were so impressed with how much you had grown as a person when we visited. Your confidence and maturity has truly blossomed but yet you are still our little girl.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks Dad :) Love you!

    Mel & Ruey--thanks girls. Glad you're reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally thought Dad said "Keep up the good fight Sweaty", which wouldn't have been nearly as nice of a thing to say.

    ReplyDelete