Monday, April 25, 2011

Making memories one cobblestone at a time


It was both nerve-wracking and eye opening at the same time having my parents visit Nicaragua.  I was nervous trying to make things go smoothly for my parents and keeping an eye out for them in the streets while translating for them and my Spanish speaking family and friends.  My eyes were opened (like other times with visitors) as they pointed out unusual things that have become so ordinary to me.  Things such as women carrying large loads on their heads, cows walking down the highway, cobblestone roads with large portions missing without any notification, classrooms with no materials/decorations, overloaded power lines, cold water, power outages, no personal space, etc.  Sometimes I said a sarcastic “tell me about it”, but other times I really thought about what I felt when I first came to Nicaragua.  Things were scary and very different.  Now that I’ve been here for about 8 months, I feel much more accustomed to the culture and way of life here.  I’m not necessarily “comfortable” with everything, but I know how to do things and many things have become easier, or more manageable.  

After that wordy introduction, let’s go back to last Saturday when I anxiously road in a taxi from Boaco to pick up my parents from the airport.  We got there a little before their flight was scheduled to arrive and then I waited with my face pressed up against the glass wall that separated the family and friends from the arriving passengers in the baggage claim area.  I saw my parents come through the walkway and I filled with joy and started waving.  Ah, who cares if people stared—another thing I’m used to here in Nicaragua.  Then began the waiting game as the belt circled and dumped out suitcases of all sizes.  I watched patiently behind the glass until they finally came through the door with their baggage carts.  My mom pushed my dad aside to secure the first hug with me.  I hugged my dad too and then we piled into the taxi to begin the adventure. 



My family in Boaco was eagerly awaiting my parents’ visit and was cooking lunch for us as we were en route.  It was exciting to have my parents with me and I felt like words were just bubbling out of me and I was spewing out all the English I stored inside of me.  We finally got into Boaco, dropped off our things at the hotel, and then ate lunch at my house.  My family brought gifts for my host family which we distributed to give them a little taste of Oregon.

 That's an OSU football baby Dylan has.


Jasser then became the tour guide and we took my parents out onto the hilly cobblestone roads of beautiful Boaco.   We hit all the major tourist hotspots and saved a couple for the next day.  Ok, Boaco really isn’t touristy, but there are some “must-see” items on my list. We went to the central park, the lighthouse (with no body of water within a couple hundred yards), the Pali (local grocery store chain), a panaderia that makes awesome donuts and croissants, the cyber I used to go to, the cemetery, the outdoor markets, and my high school. 










We had a fun dinner with my parents, my Boaco family, my counterpart and his kids, and some cousins. 


After visiting the dry hills of Boaco, my parents felt refreshed as we entered Masaya where there is definitely more green during this time of year.  We unloaded our things at the hotel and then went to San Juan de Oriente to visit my old host family and purchase some pottery. 

 
Then we met up with Kellie and her mom and sister in Catarina to have lunch above the Laguna de Apoyo.  It was beautiful and windy, so it cooled us down.  After lunch we strolled around Catarina a little to look at the gardens.  Then, we went back to Masaya to stay for the night.

It was off the Montelimar Beach the next day where we would begin our 3 day all-inclusive resort stay.  Buffets and beach time here we come! 


We thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this place from the private beach, to the beautiful pools, and the never-ending buffets.  It was a little piece of paradise and the perfect amount of time to stay.  I guess I wouldn’t have minded staying a couple more weeks boogie boarding and eating a variety of delicious food, but our vacation time was coming to an end.



We spent the night in Managua after leaving Montelimar because my parents had to fly out early in the morning.  We said some quick goodbyes to avoid getting too emotional and off we went on our separate ways.  It was good having my parents here to visit and getting to show them my life here, but it was hard knowing they could only stay for a week.  I know it’s definitely hard to understand a different culture in one week, but I’m hoping they soaked up as much as they could in that short amount of time to experience the beautiful landscape, the warm hospitality, and every little bump on the cobblestone roads. 


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely time with the family! I love all the OSU stuff on your Nicaraguan family ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! Glad you had a good visit with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dad and i had a super time spending time with you...thanks for being such a great tour guide..we love you so

    ReplyDelete