Sunday, September 5, 2010

San Juan del Oriente

Im in San Juan del Oriente now with my host family.  Sorry for any lack of punctuation or misspellings--this keyboard is hard to navigate!  Im having a great time here besides not being able to hear out of my left ear still...I got water stuck in it from swimming at the hotel the other day.  Im taking ear drops so hopefully make it better.  Its not very fun not being able to hear out of one ear :(

I had a quick language class yesterday with the other girls in my town and our language teacher to practice some survival Spanish.  It started raining during class and we had to shut the doors because I was getting wet.  It was really hard to hear too because it was raining so hard! 

Here are some pictures of my house (mainly my room because I felt weird trying to take pictures of the house with everybody there haha).

Here is my "closet" and my bookshelf/toiletry cabinet
This shows how the walls are open to the whole house at the top so you can hear everybody all the time... Then my door opens to the kitchen nook.

This my light, which went out last night because of the thunder & lightning storm so I used a flashlight and for dinner my host mom lit a candle and said it was a romantic dinner haha Shes pretty cute :)

Here is the calendar my brother made me of pictures when we were young--so sweet :)
Here is our patio (backyard) with lots of fruit trees which my host mom uses to make fresh juice for me :)
Here is where I keep my shoes because I dont want any bugs to get inside of them haha 
Here is my host brothers daughter--she calls me "gringa" (white girl) haha  My family tells her to stop and call me Megan, so she says "gringa Megan".  I think its hilarious--shes just 3 :)

I was able to watch the OSU game last night so that was awesome, but unfortunately they lost :(



This is my bed with the mosquito net over it...I still have bug bites on my legs...I think it's from the daytime though.  My language teacher says I have sweet blood haha

 
This was my lunch today--rice, chicken, ensalada (salad), and platanos fritos (fried plantains) which are my favorite :)


Well, I have to go now, but just wanted to let everyone know I was ok :)  Miss everybody & Oregon!  Until next time!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sweetie, so great to chat today,love hearing from you, and so glad all is well...Pics are great,keep it up.talkie soon..MOM and DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear everything is going well so far. Are the language classes hard? What method do they use to teach? Audio-lingual method? Grammar Translation? etc...(a little Language acquisition quiz for you. :) Does it rain there a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute little girl! I like it that you have a map of Nicaragua posted. Maps are very important to me and it is nice to see a young person with this interest. Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are great :) Do you have internet there? Or, do you go to the internet cafes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom & Dad: good talking to you too! Love you :)

    Stephanie:
    Our language classes are communicative based, but the first week is a little overview of culture and phrases, greetings--basically "Survival Spanish" is what they call it. I'll let you know how it continues :) I'll tell you this though, being forced to use the language really helps in production haha We are not allowed to use English in our Spanish classes and our host families don't speak English, so yesterday was a nice break to talk with my parents and one of my counterparts here. I'm sure my Spanish will improve rapidly!

    Audrey: Hope you're enjoying my blog & the pictures--glad you're "actively" following :)

    Ruey: I went to an internet cafe. One of the other volunteers has internet at her house but it's really spotty & it's a card that you plug into a laptop. She lives farther away than the cafe from me...

    ReplyDelete