Thursday, September 16, 2010

The day I chased down the ice cream man...

Today is one that goes down in history...today is the day I chased down the ice cream man!  So now that we're a little more than 2 weeks into our adventure here in Nicaragua, we've been thinking a lot about the things we miss back home, especially the food.  Lately, we've been talking a lot about desserts and ice cream because they don't have much of what we consider desserts and we haven't seen a place to buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's yet.  There is the occasional ice cream man that cruises through the town on his bicycle though.  We have bought ice cream from him once before and we have missed him many times, but today in class, we heard the bells of the ice cream man and shouted "Ice Cream" to which our profesora replied "Go!" so we ran out to the main street to see where he was.  Well, he was about 3 blocks down the road already, but we didn't give up.  I actually started running, yes, I chased the ice cream man down the main street in our town for 3 1/2 blocks and yelled "Senor!" until he turned around.  I just started laughing, but told him there were two other girls who wanted ice cream too, so he turned around and pedaled back up the street.  Everyone was staring at me as I walked alongside the ice cream man returning down the main street ringing his bell, but we got our dulce de leche ice cream bars and all was good.

4 comments:

  1. OK, really?..and you get after me when I yell...."icecream man" when I heard the bells in any neighborhood....I guess I didn't icecream, I just wanted to get all the kids going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I know it was pretty silly :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have to teach the ice cream that he should stop for you on his route. I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have done the same thing! Ice cream rocks!

    ReplyDelete