Thursday, September 2, 2010

Good News!

Hey everyone!  So I'm in Granada staying at the hotel still and we have had the opportunity to speak with some current Peace Corps volunteers.  I found out from one of them that packages so arrive to the Peace Corps office.  She said that only one package was lost, but she wasn't sure if her friend put the right address or not. SO, I know that some of you were saying that you wanted to send care packages and I was hesitant because of past things that I have heard.  If you feel so inclined to send something, please send it via regular mail (USPS), not FedEx, DHL, UPS, or anything else of that sort.  Also, try to keep them small, and I've heard that there are flat rate boxes for international packages so check that out.  Anyway, letters are great to receive too and much appreciated :)

Today was a long day and filled with a lot of information!  We had meetings, language interview (thought I did fairly well and it wasn't too nerve-wracking), medical interview (go through forms, asked questions about any medical issues, etc.), and got our medical kits & mosquito nets!  We finally got to start our malaria pills, which I was really happy to do because I got a bug bite the first day here :(   I haven't gotten sick or anything yet, so hopefully no malaria!  Anyway, we also got to cruise around the town to check things out and get some ice cream. 

After dinner we danced to some music the hotel was playing--we were outdoors in an undercover area so it was warm and so fun!  I learned how the bachata which was fairly easy after practicing a little.  My friend Josue (ho-sway) taught me and we practiced.  Of course when you're dancing with a guy leading you who knows what he's doing, it's fun and becomes easy.

After being sweaty from the day and dancing, I came back to the room to cool off (shower & AC).  I organized all of my stuff because it was really bugging me how crazy messy things were getting and it reminded me how much I hate living out of a bag!!  I got everything together and picked out my clothes for the next two days so I don't have to rummage through my bags early in the morning.  I feel much better about my area of the room and I can sleep peacefully now :)

We find out about our host families tomorrow! I know I'll be in the state of Masaya, but I don't know which town yet.  Can't wait!  You can still send things to my address posted on my blog. !Hasta luego!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a wonderful experience and absorbing the culture already. It is warm in Keizer again for a couple of days. Last night we dealt with barking dogs. There must have been a critter around and the dogs did not like it one bit! :-) It sounds more fun where you are. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey meg,did you get my letters yet,,,sent aweek and 2 weeks ago?? glad to hear things are going well..take care and talkie soon...mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Megan, your mom told me Stevie trapped a raccoon or possum under the deck. One barking dog led to many barking dogs. Your cousin set a live trap to catch it and caught one of the cats instead! I thought that was hilarious. It is hot today. Take care.Audrey

    ReplyDelete