Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hello Hurricane Matthew

Fortunately, Hurricane Matthew hit on the North Atlantic side of Nicaragua and apparently didn't do too much damage, but we've been experiencing a lot of wind and rain this past week.  Also, it is actually pretty cool here, and by cool, I mean chilly.  I actually was wearing a long sleeve shirt and a hooded sweatshirt this morning because I was so cold.  Granted, our house isn't sealed off from the outside, and our buckets were filling with drops of water, but it is cold in Nicaragua right now.  It's actually pretty cool to experience storms here, with the tin roofs and not very secure building materials.  I really thought our roof was going to blow off this morning because the winds seemed so strong.  I'm really glad they didn't though.  I even sat in my bed thinking what I should do if they had blown off.  Should I pack up my stuff and move to Kellie's host house?  Would they have to put me up in a hotel?  Ok, before I let my mind wander too much, I'll enter back into reality, where the roof is still intact and my bathroom is in the kitchen and there's no backdoor so the neighbor's dog and cat wander in whenever in search of food.  Yes, that's my reality and I'm learning to embrace it.  Well, I guess that's it for now.  I hope it stays cool for awhile longer because summer is coming soon and I've heard it gets real HOT...

3 comments:

  1. great to chat,,,am glad I got the phone charge taken care of,,we should be fine now..should get a box out this week...love you so..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great talking to you this afternoon. I'm glad that you are also feeling better and that you weathered the storm okay. Love Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is my first attempt to communicate via a blog comment. I have been reading your postings and much of it sounds familiar to my missionary trips to Yucatan and Africa. Hope you are feeling better by now! Our prayers are with you always... Love you :) Uncle Gordon

    ReplyDelete