Thursday, April 19, 2012

A little bug

Hopefully my last blog post gave you enough reading material until this one.  So on Tuesday I caught a "little bug", meaning I got sick...not sure exactly what it was but it felt like a stomach bacteria and that's what I'm taking medicine for and it seems to be working.  I hate feeling like that.  Yuck.  It started Tuesday afternoon and it swiftly took over that night and didn't let me get much sleep.  My stomach was bloated and I had, well the runs is what some like to call it.  Delightful, yes.  Anyway, I felt nauseous as well so I took some Dramamine which helped, but my stomach just hurt and I couldn't make myself drink liquids, which was much needed in this time to stay hydrated.

I went to the pharmacy the next morning to deliver my "specimen" and the lady told me to return at 11:30am.  I feel like their system isn't so great when I drop something off at 7:30am, I was the only one there and I have to wait 4 hours to get results which means I have to wait 4 hours to get any medicine.  I went back at 11:30am and she told me it wasn't ready and to come back at 2pm.  Seriously?  I'm dying here!  Ok not really, but I wasn't in a pleasant state.  Anyway, this time I had Peace Corps call them to check the results (the PC doctor of course to keep confidentiality) and they finally got back to me around 3:30pm and I headed over to the pharmacy to get the much loved Ciprofloxacin or "Cipro" as we call it.  It's a very well-known medicine among the bacteria-infected PCVs.  I think I'll pick up some extras to take when I go traveling later.

Anyway, I started taking Cipro yesterday and I feel so much better.  I even felt so good that I tried to go back to normal right away and then I felt very exhausted and had to take a nap.  I tried to take it easy and things are going well.  I missed some school, but that's ok.  I was sick and my counterparts understood and even gave me all their suggestions (along with my host family) of medicines I should be taking to get rid of whatever it was that I had.  Funny how everyone loves to tell you what the best medicine is even though they don't know what exactly you have... It definitely felt like a bacteria to me so I didn't want to take their suggestions of medicines to stop the, well, um the reason why I had to make all those bathroom trips.  The reason, well, if you have a bacteria, you don't want to trap it in your body.  You want it OUT asap so, the best thing is just to keep hydrated and when you have a test confirmed, you can take the correct meds and hopefully get better soon :)

I'm super happy to be feeling much better and so glad that I got a full night's sleep last night.  AND, I get to see Frank tomorrow :)  I broke down a little in the midst of the sickness--those can really bring ya down--and he comforted me over the phone but I really wished he could have been here.  Even if he thought I really really needed him though, the roads were closed between us.  Darn roadblocks.  Well, things are supposedly cleared up now so hopefully traffic will be ok tomorrow. 

I did get some love from little Dyland who was so sleepy this afternoon that he decided to take a nap with me.  It was so precious :)

Not great quality--it's from my phone in the dark--but you get the point.  Isn't this just so sweet?? :)
He was just getting comfy...I eventually had to roll him a little to get my arm out so I could go use the bathroom.  This picture is the same phone, but with flash--I didn't want to use the flash before because I didn't want to wake him.

Ok, I think he was getting a little too comfy here...

1 comment:

  1. you both are very precious...love ya..glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete