Sunday, December 12, 2010

Better

I survived the bacteria. I just have to do another test tomorrow to make sure that it’s completely gone, but I feel tons better, besides feeling full to the brim from my host mom’s food. So, I told her last week (conveniently right before I happened to get sick) that it would be better if I bought and cooked my own food because I felt bad wasting her food because I didn’t eat that much and I didn’t want her to worry about what to buy me, because often I don’t know what I want to eat. I gave her the money for the last week and told her from then on I would buy and make my own food and she doesn’t need to worry about my food—I also told her I didn’t want to offend her, but it’s just easier for me to take care of the food situation. Anyway, for the past week, I’ve been making my own food which hasn’t been too hard because I was getting over my sickness so I wasn’t eating much. However, I think my host mom is worried that I’m not eating enough because she keeps making food and telling me to eat it and watching me make my food and making weird looks like I’m eating some strange, foreign material (you know, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches). I feel kind of awkward though because I’m not paying her but she keeps giving me food. I know our conversation was clear last week because she repeated back to me what I had told her and she saw me bring groceries home from the market and she watched me make my own meals. I’m not quite sure what to do because I want to keep buying my own food so I can eat what I want, but I don’t want her to expect me to pay her later because I can’t afford to be buying my own food and then paying her as well. Weird. Things here are weird is all I can say. But, it’s just another weird thing to get over and I have to make it unweird and deal with it :) That’s what we get when cultures clash…


For now, I’ll just keep on keeping on and find something else to worry about, like my parents and brother being in Hawaii right now. Hope they’re having fun, but not too much haha I do have some fun plans coming up. One of my professors from Western Oregon is coming to Nicaragua, not quite sure why she planned to come here, but I’m excited to hang out with her. I’m going to go into Managua and then show her around Masaya and where I used to live and then hopefully bring her back to Boaco for the night to check things out here. By the way, I went around yesterday to the hotels here comparing the services, rooms, etc. so I’m prepared for visitors :) Of course, we have an extra room at our house, but if you want your own space, there are cheap (and clean) hotels here, although the rooms are very small. But do you really need a lot of room when you just sleep there? Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing some friends in Masaya too and hopefully we’ll take lots of fun pictures so stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better. I know how it feel to not be sure if you are communicating well. I hope it all works out! Are fruits and vegetables easy to find there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph! Fruits and veggies are easy to find, but need to be washed VERY well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it's your cousin Becky and aunt Trish in Florida. =) It's our first visit to your blog. We will try to keep in touch, now that we have finally checked into your blog.
    We are very glad you are feeling better and hope you don't experience that again.
    I am sitting here, reading all your posts to my mom as she works around the house. Its interesting hearing about your PC adventure.
    My parents are jealous of your parents and brother for being in Hawaii right now. They are going there in March. In two weeks we are going to Orange Lake (again). We really enjoyed your visit last year and we are looking forward to ya'lls next visit.
    You are in our prayers. Take care.
    with love, Becky and Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks! Glad you found me :) I think we're all jealous of the Hawaii trip... haha Hey, write me a letter sometime--I love getting mail. My address is here on my blog up top.

    ReplyDelete