Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Counting down the days...

Well, here I go starting my first blog ever. Have I really been that out of touch with the world? :) As I am preparing to set out on an adventure of a lifetime (teaching English in Nicaragua with Peace Corps), I decided to set up a blog a little early to count down the days.


I leave for staging somewhere in the U.S. in the very end of August and then on September 1st, Nicaragua here I come! I am so excited to go and I've been reading many Peace Corps volunteer (PCV) blogs to get some inside info about what my life might be like in about 3 1/2 months. As I think about it and read stories from PCVs, I experience many different feelings--excitement (looking forward to a completely new place, new people, new everything), anxiousness (wanting to leave ASAP to begin this adventure), worry (will I be able to handle the challenges), fear (hearing about rat home invasion stories--yuck!), and finally peace (knowing that God is with me wherever I go and He has led me in this decision).


Although I still have a little while before I leave, I have come to the realization that there is really nothing I can do to completely prepare myself for this adventure. This is sometimes difficult for me to admit because I like to plan out everything. I've been trying to be more spontaneous and seeking out new things to experience. I feel that the Peace Corps will certainly blow my mind. I know that it's not going to be easy and there will probably be days where I may want to come home, but I know that there will also be a lot of times that I will be in awe of the incredible place that I will be in and the people I will have met.



Here's a picture of me after the Social Justice Missioning Ceremony at Gonzaga. They had a ceremony for students going abroad to serve in various countries. I'm giving the peace sign for Peace Corps.


So for now, I'm counting down the days and ask you to join with me. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers :) Only 111 days to go...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! I saw your comment on a blog about PC Nicaragua. I just wanted to introduce myself because I'll be in your group this fall!
    I don't know if you're on facebook, but I've created a group on there for others who will be in our training group. It's called Peace Corps Nicaragua August 2010.
    Anyway, I look forward to meeting you at staging!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm so excited to "meet" people before we get there :)

    ReplyDelete