Thursday, November 25, 2010

Money issues...

So, I tried talking to my host mom last night about how much I should pay her each month for my room and food.  I arranged a price based on what I had paid for the site visit, which included a room and meals, so I figured this would be a good price, especially because it fit in the window of what PC said was the average amount to pay.  I talked to my host mom and she agreed on the price and it seemed like everything was set. 

Well...this morning, she asked me if we could talk about the prices again because she was a little confused about our conversation last night, which was weird because it seemed clear.  Anyway, she told me that the contract from PC said that I should pay a certain amount for the room for the 6 weeks.  PC sets up rooms with families for the 1st six weeks so we have a secure place to live while we try to find another place if we want to move out.  I just thought it would be easier to pay monthly instead of the 6 weeks.  Ok, whatever, that's fine to pay the 6 weeks.  Then, she told me that she knew prices for the meals and told me how much breakfast, lunch, and dinner should cost (which were way more than the correct prices) and calculated everything out to tell me how much I should pay.  Volunteers in department capitals get paid a little more than other volunteers because things are a little more expensive, but this was ridiculous.  First of all, I hate talking about money issues, but this was even worse because she was asking me to pay pretty much my whole monthly "salary".  I obviously can not afford the price she offered and I was kind of upset about the issue because I felt she was asking too much.  So, I decided to drop the issue because I had to leave the house soon and I would talk to her later. 

After thinking about it and worrying a little about how much money I'm going to have and if I'll be able to stay with them, etc. I decided that I will just tell them that I will pay for the meals they have given me so far, but after that, I'm going to make all of my own meals.  Again, I don't like talking to people about money because it's always awkward, especially in this type of situation, but I guess I just have to let her know that I don't get paid that much as a volunteer, go figure haha  This should be a fun conversation--wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Before you say you will buy and do your own meals ,talk with her a bit..try to figure all costs before you set a price,and try to include at least a few meals with them. Be sure you tell her you are looking forward to teaching her children english, I am sure all will be ok. love you ,and talk to you soon,,,call anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'll see what I can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Janet gives good advice! :-)
    Does your host realize you are a vegetarian and has she included the price of meat in her meals?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh, not a fun conversation...suerte...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I´m not a vegetarian...but sometimes I wish I was here haha I resolved the money issue fortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are glad that you recieved your school suplies. Another package sent today Xmas goodies. Hope you get it in the same time frame. Glad that you got your $ issue settled. We knew you weren't a vegetarian. Love you Grandpa & Grandma.

    ReplyDelete